Cookie problem? DA flakey

karen

Verified User
All of a sudden I can't log on to Direct Admin control panel. When I input name/password, the screen just refreshes to blank dialog boxes (as opposed to if I put in a bad name/pwd in which case it gives me the appropriate error).

Support says they think it's a cookie problem. I've got IE security set to Medium, have the login site set to Allow all cookies, have turned off Earthlink's pop-up-blocker and Lavasoft's ad-watch (which never interfered before). Yet I can't log on. If I do get logged in, I get disconnected again before the whole admin panel loads.

FTP and mail work fine. The web site is up. But the DA panel just is giving me fits. Any ideas what I can try?

Hi Karen,

Ive just come here to look for the answer to the same problem and not found it yet. It definately isn't a cookie problem in my instance as I have tested from 4 machines using Solaris, Linux and 2 windows OS's so I doubt very much all 4 are set up incorrectly as far as cookies goes.

I can't wait to here from those that know the solution :D

Happy new year everyone

Hello,

Was your support able to login to your account? Are you using a proxy? (try turning it off). Failing that, send your account info: ip, username,password (and root password if you have it) to [email protected] and we'll have a look.

John

Intermittent success

I tried to log on from an old Win 95 machine, and got into DA just fine. Then went back to my machine and couldn't connect, so I thought it is something about cookies/proxy. Then I tried again from my machine, got connected, was able to set up a new email account, then got booted out again and couldn't reconnect.

I did notice that Earthlink has changed my IP settings to use a proxy server, and that unchecking that box seemed to help briefly - but it gets set back to proxy again. I just recently installed an update from Earthlink for download acceleration, and maybe that uses proxies. I'll investigate that more before I bug support about this. Anyone else find this same problem?

Then your option would be to remove the ISP software. Here we have some ISP's that 'require' the software to be installed, but it works perfectly fine without it. It's just setting the proxy and some other 'features' you might want turned off such as monitoring the hosts file.

Fixed DA problem (proxy)

The problem was with Earthlink's new accelerator software. The software does speed up your connection, but it does it by using proxies which keeps DirectAdmin from working. If you are having the same problems, just configure the Earthlink Accelerator NOT to load at startup. Then you can use DirectAdmin. Just start the Accelerator (using icon in taskbar that installs with the program) when you want to browse.

The tricky part is that there is an icon for STOP Earthlink Accelerator, but it doesn't change back the proxy settings, so you can't use DA after you stop the accelerator unless you go change settings in IE which is too much trouble for me.

Thanks for all the suggestions that pointed the way to the answer...

I have the same problem

I experienced the same problem twice.

I have an admin, reseller and user account, the first time, I could not login to any account (use the same isp).

Yesterday I just change to yahoo SBC DSL, and could not login to admin and reseller account, but I could log into user account.

This is very strange.

Hello,

The login method is the same for Admin, Reseller and Users. If it says "invalid login", then it's in fact a wrong username or password. If you just get the same page with no message, then it might be a cookie issue (or possibly something else like a full hard drive, or corrupted user account (unlikely))

John

try checking proxy settings

Had a similar problem - no login error message, page just refreshes. Sometimes it goes to the next page which load incompletely, then back to login screen.

My problem was caused by installing Earthlink's accellerator software. Other ISPs may use something similar. It works by changing the setting in the browser to use proxies. I have to start the pc with the accellerator software disabled, then uncheck the use proxies boxes, and then can log in. It's a hassle to have to switch back and forth, but it works.

my problem seems a IP problem. I own two IPs, the server ip no longer works, but I can log in with another IP.

Last edited:
I experience the same problem here when I use a proxy server that uses some sort of loadbalancing. Especially when it switches between an ip pool of proxy servers. This might cause DA to 'think' something is wrong with the current login session. What you get is when you navigate within your control panel you will be prompted to login again (switching from reseller menu to user menu for example). Disabling proxy settings solves it.

edit: This a bit of an old thread but could not resist to reply :D

Last edited:
I changed my DA Panel password today for the user ADMIN but trying to login with the new password redirects me back without error messages to the login screen.

Trying another (false) password renders the error message for invalid username and/or password.

I have erased all old cookies, offline cached files etc and tried to login again -- but still the same result. Back to a blank login screen.

I also have tried different web browsers (Firefox, Explorer, Opera) -- again; back to a blank login screen.

I run DA on a dedicated server and have root access to my machine.

What should I do to be able to login into DA again?

Sorry! But I really do need to solve the problem. Using the correct username and password and still I can't login all of the sudden.

Brand new box...plenty of space...same issues...tried different browsers... very confused. The disable ip thing above is no longer in directadmin.conf that I can find.

Advice?

Back