Primary account not getting email, secondary can

Mindlash

Verified User
As the subject implies. I'm having a difficult time tracking down why a particular user is having their emails deffered.

Example:
Owner of domain [email protected] is set up by default when the domain is created. When someone emails this person, they get an email back with simliar content:

This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

[email protected]
(ultimately generated from [email protected])

If I were to create a new account [email protected] that person can receive emails just fine, with none getting kicked back to the sender.

mainlog shows the email supposedly being sent properly, but also shows the email being sent back.

Example:
2004-01-02 00:15:24 1AcHee-00040L-JV <= [email protected] H=(senders.domain.com) [67.67.67.67] P=esmtp X=TLSv1:AES256-SHA:256 S=1364 [email protected]
2004-01-02 00:15:24 1AcHee-00040L-JV ** [email protected] <[email protected]> R=virtual_aliases:
2004-01-02 00:15:24 1AcHee-00040P-Lz <= <> R=1AcHee-00040L-JV U=mail P=local S=2235
2004-01-02 00:15:24 1AcHee-00040L-JV Completed
2004-01-02 00:15:24 1AcHee-00040P-Lz => [email protected] R=lookuphost T=remote_smtp H=sender.com [12.12.12.12] X=TLSv1:AES256-SHA:256
2004-01-02 00:15:24 1AcHee-00040P-Lz Completed

shortened version:
<= sender
** receiver
<= <>
Completed
=> sender
Completed

I don't get it.

Anyone?

Hello,

Make sure that nobody has created a domain as the hostname.. ie: dedicated.server.com. If you see that domain anywhere in DA, then you'll have to delete it, because all the system account emails would end up landing in catch-all for the dedicated.server.com domain account. This is because [email protected] is basically just a forwarder to [email protected]... where dedicated.server.com must NOT be in the /etc/virtual/domainowners file.

John

Hi john, thanks for the reply.

/etc/virtual/domainowners shows the proper domains, and non that look out of the ordinary.

Hello,

Is your hostname in that file?
If so, remove it.

To find out what it is, just type "hostname"

John

OOOH.. I see.

yeah

serverd1.myserver.com: webadmin

remove that entire line?

I'll give that a shot... thank you :)

Anything I have to restart for this to take affect?

I did a:
service exim restart

:)

hi guys,
im having the same prob, but i have no clue what you were talking about to fix the prob cause im kind of a new-bie

none of the email accounts that i added will get mail.

is there anyway you can break it down for me?

the email account is there but theres nothing in it....
and the test emails still bounce:mad:

Hello,

I'm having the same problem as the original poster. Our hostname is whatcanbehere.com and I had a reseller account made for it. Before I use to get all the [email protected] emails from the catch-all email account I setup at whatcanbehere.com. Now I've deleted that account but my users still cannot receive email on their primary accounts, only other pop accounts made by them. I've check the domainowners files and whatcanbehere.com is no longer in it. Any ideas on how to fix this problem? Thanks for any advice.

Thanks,

Toph Lazarz
Quack Web Inc.
http://www.quackweb.com

quackweb said:
Hello,

I'm having the same problem as the original poster. Our hostname is whatcanbehere.com and I had a reseller account made for it. Before I use to get all the [email protected] emails from the catch-all email account I setup at whatcanbehere.com. Now I've deleted that account but my users still cannot receive email on their primary accounts, only other pop accounts made by them. I've check the domainowners files and whatcanbehere.com is no longer in it. Any ideas on how to fix this problem? Thanks for any advice.

Thanks,

Toph Lazarz
Quack Web Inc.
http://www.quackweb.com

i'm having the same problem as quackweb.

the admin's or main domain.com's catch all is getting the reseller's mail.

admin pop account name is admin.
reseller pop account name is like reseller. it isn't [email protected].

emails that sent to [email protected] and that is forwarded to [email protected] is caught by the catch all.

sending email to [email protected] goes to the catch all

Hello,

The easy way to fix it, is to change your hostname from domain.com to server.domain.com through the Admin Settings in DirectAdmin.

John

DirectAdmin Support said:
Hello,

The easy way to fix it, is to change your hostname from domain.com to server.domain.com through the Admin Settings in DirectAdmin.

John

still isn't working when i do that.

should i move everything in
/etc/virtual/main.com/ to /etc/virtual/server.main.com/ ?

do i have to add the 'server' as a subdomain?

when i change the hostname should i change it from directadmin -> server settings or is there some other way to change the hostname that appears when you use the hostname command?

Last edited:
Hello,

When you change your hostname through the admin settings, it will create all the required files, so no moving/copying is required. You will need to make sure that the A record for "server" does exist, as most email servers will refuse mail from a non-resolving hostname, adding a subdomain would work.

You can change it from the ssh shell using /usr/local/directadmin/scripts/hostname.sh (it's what DA uses). It changes a few files so I recommend using that over manual changing.

John

Hello,

When you change your hostname through the admin settings, it will create all the required files, so no moving/copying is required. You will need to make sure that the A record for "server" does exist, as most email servers will refuse mail from a non-resolving hostname, adding a subdomain would work.
And I believe it's important to have a reverse DNS in place as well, usually the colo centre does this for you on request.

You can change it from the ssh shell using /usr/local/directadmin/scripts/hostname.sh (it's what DA uses). It changes a few files so I recommend using that over manual changing.

John

[root@main scripts]# ./hostname.sh server.main.com
Setting hostname to `server.main.com'
hostname: you must be root to change the host name
[root@mainscripts]#

did you su - to root?

Under the login you are using ensure you can modify files such as /etc/hosts and /etc/sysconfig/network (they are the 2 main files involved with chnaging the hostname.)

Chis

Back