PHP 5.2.0 Released!

Tantawi

Verified User
The PHP development team is proud to announce the immediate release of PHP 5.2.0. This release is a major improvement in the 5.X series, which includes a large number of new features, bug fixes and security enhancements.

The key features of PHP 5.2.0 include:

* New memory manager for the Zend Engine with improved performance and a more accurate memory usage tracking.
* Input filtering extension was added and enabled by default.
* JSON extension was added and enabled by default.
* ZIP extension for creating and editing zip files was introduced.
* Hooks for tracking file upload progress were introduced.
* Introduced E_RECOVERABLE_ERROR error mode.
* Introduced DateTime and DateTimeZone objects with methods to manipulate date/time information.
* Upgraded bundled SQLite, PCRE libraries.
* Upgraded OpenSSL, MySQL and PostgreSQL client libraries for Windows installations.
* Many performance improvements.
* Over 200 bug fixes.

Security Enhancements and Fixes in PHP 5.2.0:

* Made PostgreSQL escaping functions in PostgreSQL and PDO extension keep track of character set encoding whenever possible.
* Added allow_url_include, set to Off by default to disallow use of URLs for include and require.
* Disable realpath cache when open_basedir and safe_mode are being used.
* Improved safe_mode enforcement for error_log() function.
* Fixed a possible buffer overflow in the underlying code responsible for htmlspecialchars() and htmlentities() functions.
* Added missing safe_mode and open_basedir checks for the cURL extension.
* Fixed overflow is str_repeat() & wordwrap() functions on 64bit machines.
* Fixed handling of long paths inside the tempnam() function.
* Fixed safe_mode/open_basedir checks for session.save_path, allowing them to account for extra parameters.
* Fixed ini setting overload in the ini_restore() function.
All users of PHP, especially those using earlier PHP 5 releases are advised to upgrade to this release as soon as possible. This release also obsoletes the 5.1 branch of PHP.

For users upgrading from PHP 5.0 and PHP 5.1 there is an upgrading guide available at http://www.php.net/UPDATE_5_2.txt, detailing the changes between those releases and PHP 5.2.0.

For a full list of changes in PHP 5.2.0, see the ChangeLog (http:// www.php.net/ChangeLog-5.php#5.2.0).

Ilia Alshanetsky
5.2 Release Manager

PHP Warning: Zend Optimizer does not support this version of PHP - please upgrade to the latest version of Zend Optimizer in Unknown on line 0

I have installed ZendOptimizer 3.0.2.

ZendOpitimzer 3.0.2 only supports PHP 5.1.x. Also ionCube is not working with PHP 5.2.0 at this moment because the loaders are only functional for PHP 4, PHP 5.0.3+ and PHP 5.1.x. If you use ZendOptimizer and/or ionCube you will have to wait for the updates of ZendOptimizer and ionCube before you update to PHP 5.2.0.

I discovered the same issue, quite a nag since I have an encoded framework running.

Asking 1000 dollars/year for zend guard and not update the required optimizer to be compatible with the latest php core is a very big shame ..

Indeed. However I have installed PHP 5.2.0 on my DA box last Monday and it went without any problems. The ionCube loaders also run perfectly on it.

I noticed a big performance increase on my server with the new php. Not even using the eacc. and the zend doesnt work as said above but its noticably faster

after the upgrade to 5.2.0 I noticed a bug with Squirrelmail.

When you view an e-mail for the first time it throws some preg() related errors.

Switched to 5.1.6 and the errors went away.

I found the fix for it
/var/www/html/squirrelmail-1.4.8/functions/imap_messages.php
on
line 808

You will see a line simliar to below, replace it with the below code, it is correct Its easy to find just do a search for PREG_SPLIT_NEMPT

and replace the line its in with the below text

PHP:
$flags = preg_split('/ /', $regs[1],-1,PREG_SPLIT_NEMPTY);

felosi said:
I found the fix for it
/var/www/html/squirrelmail-1.4.8/functions/imap_messages.php
on
line 808

You will see a line simliar to below, replace it with the below code, it is correct Its easy to find just do a search for PREG_SPLIT_NEMPT

and replace the line its in with the below text

PHP:
$flags = preg_split('/ /', $regs[1],-1,PREG_SPLIT_NEMPTY);

that indeed fixed the problem! many thanks!

zend.com are planning to release Zend Optimizer for PHP 5.2 at the end of this month (maybe next week). Called them yesterday. :)

smtalk said:
zend.com are planning to release Zend Optimizer for PHP 5.2 at the end of this month (maybe next week). Called them yesterday. :)
Probaly everybody started to complain. Last time I called they said something else ;), Read it above....

Yes :) Many companies are using ionCube instead of Zend Optimizer because of their releases :) ionCube has released their loader for PHP 5.2 in 1 day :)

i take back what i said, had a few problems with some galleries and other scripts

felosi said:
i take back what i said, had a few problems with some galleries and other scripts

So what were the nature of these problems and how did you resolve them?

Back