software updating process

bjseiler

Verified User
I am curious how often people check for and update their

1. software installed through ports
2. system software (kernel stuff)
3. DA specific software

Does anybody automate the updating?

I always watch when I run portupgrade because, at least on some other non-DA machines, it sometimes brings down apache or mysql when I update them.

I wouldn't advise automatically updating your kernel..... but since ive never used FBSD im going to keep away from commenting any further :p

Chris

Hello,

I'll just say that we havn't put in place any restrictions on programs like with did with up2date on redhat. (Not really aware of the auto update feature with freebsd)

John

To keep the system current I update my FreeBSD every week or so. There are several tools that can do this automatically.

I like to use this script http://lvl.sourceforge.net/update.php it is very convenient.

Rick

p.s. I have sent in a request for Beta tester is it still open to apply?

Last edited:
By "automate" I guess I meant putting cvsup and then portupgrade into cron jobs to be done automatically. There is a freebsd-update that does binary updates of system software for freebsd, but I have never used it.

I am just kind of looking for what people consider the best practise for updates.

rhoekman said:
p.s. I have sent in a request for Beta tester is it still open to apply?

I think it is still open for 5.0 / 5.1 testers..... the whole beta testing process for 4.8 / 4.9 is now actually over :)

Chris

There is no problem in running CVSup in cron every night it just fetches the latest ports en updates.

Portupgrade on the other hand I would not put that in a cron job as you might get dialogs from certain packages. You can mute it but well you really have to have faith in your system then ;)

Rick

Yeah, I guess I could run cvsup in cron and it would not hurt anything, but I normally run cvsup and then portupgrade so I know what needs to be updated and then I can watch the portupgrade in action to see if it breaks during an install.

What about the DA specific software, how often do you check for updates and install updates on that?

I think that question is direct to everyone here? If not.. I do not run DirectAdmin at the moment I am testing waters to see what fits best on FreeBSD and I applied for Beta but no response yet (well, it is weekend)

Hello,

We had a minor bump in the apache build script on 5.x, which should be cleared up now. Mark will start sending out notifications to a few testers at first, then a few more later (so we can test out any fixes in installer and test them on clean systems).

John

Hello,

Just make sure you have partitioned how you want it. If you have a /var, or /home, make sure they're big enough. Also, make sure there are no pop, smtp, imap, apache, mysql processes running.

John

DirectAdmin Support said:
Hello,

Just make sure you have partitioned how you want it. If you have a /var, or /home, make sure they're big enough. Also, make sure there are no pop, smtp, imap, apache, mysql processes running.

John

Hello,

I think you mis understand me, i have FreeBSD 4.8 stable with DirectAdmin 1.20.7 on it and i want to upgrade to FreeBSD 4.9 Stable and i was wondering if i need to do anything when i upgrade?

There should be no problem upgrading to 4.9.. Just back up your old kernel and your /etc dir to be on the safe side and you should be fine..

Back