Redundant Directadmin Servers

wylde

Verified User
I'm looking for away to setup 2 or more web servers that act redundantly preferably i'd like the mysql databases to replicate and the public_html files to be synced either immediately upon modification to the directory or at predefined times i think i could manually do this with mysql and rysnc however what if i was to have the boxes located on different networks and the IP's had to change back and forth. Also the issues of letting Webserver B know when its time to take over.

This has been discussed many times on these forums; some searching should help you find what's already been said on the topic.

Then you can ask specific questions which perhaps someone can help you with.

Or are you looking for someone to do the work for you?

Be aware that building redundant servers is fraught with difficulties, always results in at least one point of failure, perhaps more, and generally costs quite a bit more than just running too servers.

Jeff

redundant

What about thegridlayer.com ? They offer a grid under directadmin or cpanel

Based on this page of their website they look like a simple VPS solution.

Perhaps they put mysql on a separate server? Their graphic hits to that, but I don't see them actually stating that anywhere.

And perhaps they use a network of grid servers (google that :) ).

Anyone talk to them? Use them? Are they on these forums? I'd like to know more.

Jeff

Ok .. since we're talking about grid here, maybe I will ask my question here, hopefully somebody here know the answer.

Anyone here know the difference between Applogic grid system and Sun N1 Grid engine ?

Cheers,

I've read both the threads mentioned above. It appears that even the folk who manage the Applogic grid are avoiding answering your question.

Nowhere does Applogic say they're for redundancy. In fact I believe in one place (in these threads) they mention that they're NOT a redundant soluiton (I could be wrong; please read for yourself). And the Applogic folk mention they're only running two servers. So while that offers some redundancy, it doesn't offer any redundancy of data center, of paths out of the data center.

I still stand by my points that real redundancy is very expensive and not something readily available from automated suppliers.

If/when i see a reason to use grid servers, I'll consider them, but so far I do not.

Jeff

Technologies lik Amazon's EC2 & S3, and Applogic's solution will no doubt transform the way we view hardware in a hosting environment.

In the thread at http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=561046 , Vlad does point out that Applogic does not create a single virtual server from many physical server as it is not really ecomnomically feasable. But software like Applogic does and will allow you to cheaply and quickly deploy a clustered system. In fact, it appears TheGridLayer now supports the DirectAdmin in a single node system (which, from what I understand is like a VPS).

They are testing CPanel in a multi-node environment where you can essentially manage a pool of servers from one interface. Hopefully they bring DirectAdmin on board as an offering.

In the long run, the advantage to us will be that if a node goes down due to a software or hardware failure, redundancy built into Applogic will bring another virtual server online within minutes. Deploying new hardware will be vastly simplified. And moving or replicating virtual servers geographically will be a matter of a few clicks.

This is the beginning of the future of webhosting. Once you wrap your head around the concepts, it is very exciting, and there will be some lucrative opportunities for enterprising individuals. Organizations like Applogic and AWS (Amazon Web Services) are bringing technology to the mainstream that was previously available only to those with deep pockets. I think they deserve some recognition for their efforts.

Brian

Last edited:
Brian, I agree with you 100%. I'm just not sure that it's DA's niche.

Jeff

Really? How so?

I run DA and Ensim (not a fan). In the future I would love to have clustering capability integrated with DA. That way, I'm not tempted to look elsewhere (H-Sphere). I really like DA and so do my customers. If it could host on a large scale with centralized management, it would be a powerhouse.

They currently offer DA with the single node servers at TGL. If Applogic is planning to offer DA clustering like they are with CPanel, that would be great. I just wish and hope I can stay with my current provider, but they have not yet expressed an interest in offering grid services.

For anyone interested in low cost grid computing, check out Amazon Web Services at http://aws.amazon.com . At first, I didn't see the value or totally understand it. But once I wrapped around my head around what they are doing, I 'saw the light' so to speak. We are in the beginning of a whole new way of looking at the hardware equation. In the future, there will be less value placed on a host's ability to manage hardware. That responsibility is going to move to the datacenter. Providers will have to focus on other ways of providing added value to the client.

I have no doubt single server hosting will be around for some time, but I think clustering and grid like services are the next logical step.

Brian

Brian S said:
Really? How so?
Because doing it right will require a redesign of how DA does a lot of what it does.

My gut feeling is it would take a lot of resources.

Jeff

Jeff,

You should take another look at what it would take to make DirectAdmin run a cluster under AppLogic. Trust me, it is not nearly as difficult as you are assuming. And we have customers ask for it daily.

If you decide to do something about it, 3Tera will help.

Vlad

Is there any progress on this 'study'? Does DA consider to look into this solution, both technical as from a license point og view?

Jeff,

You should take another look at what it would take to make DirectAdmin run a cluster under AppLogic. Trust me, it is not nearly as difficult as you are assuming. And we have customers ask for it daily.

If you decide to do something about it, 3Tera will help.

Vlad

Old void still not filled?

After the recent fibre break in Canada I have realized I really need a cluster...or just a better option for a redundant server.

It would be real nice if DA had a passive mode with a heartbeat monitor have the two servers replicate daily.

Been discussed. Before. Many times. Daily replication won't work. Because web 2.0 sites allow updating by users and on busy sites it occurs continuously.

I'm not sure how you'd do it with a heartbeat monitor on one of the servers, but presumably you do.

You're going to be spending at least as twice every month, and the chances of another fiber break at your datacenter probably isn't great enough to spend that. Have you seen my thread on the fallacy of redundancy?

Of course you may decide to not recognize me because I look like Einstein.

Jeff

Back