How far from completion?

interfasys

Verified User
By reading this forum, I can see that there are still a couple of issues here and there, but are we getting closer to a release date?

Is the 5 branch a better OS for hosting (more advanced tools, security, etc.) or is it too unstable?

Last edited:
As far as I can tell it is not ready for a production release. It is stable but John needs to fix the problems with Apache w/mod_ssl and Frontpage so they it plays togather. I would assume (who knows?) that before the month is out it should be pretty close to a full release. I think most of the big problems were found in the 4.8/4.9 release this seems like a simple port with only a few issues.

I am thinking that 1.2.6 we should see a solid release...

As for FreeBSD 5 branch is the future of FreeBSD. It is more stable and more secure than the version 4 branch. The SMP support is much better, 64bit support added. Honestly I have a few 4 boxes that run well for a long time and only recently have we switched over to the 5 branch.

Hello,

I've added the Apache fix to the build script. Just remove the configure.* script and do a build clean; build update; build all;

There arn't too many more bugs that I've seen. One thing was the /proc directory doesn't get mounted by default, just added the line to the /etc/fstab and mounted it manually during the install. (Caused the dataskq to restart *everything* in a panic as it thought nothing was running :))

I can see FreeBSD 5.x being out in the not too distant future.

John

I've been running DA on a FreeBSD 5.1 machine for couple of weeks now. Except for the couple issues I've posted before in this forums, I've had no issues whatsoever and since John fixed the issues with Apache now anyways, DA is looking very very good at this point.

Good to hear :)

We like to hear when things *ARE* working so that we can be sure that they arn't broken. Normally, people don't say anything when things are working, leading us to assume that everything is fine, but hearing it first hand takes out all assumptions :)

John

Back