Some questions before buy it :)

Nikoms

Verified User
Hello all! I have a question about directadmin. It looks great but i want to be sure of my choice :)

So i have some questions...

- I saw in the demo, that users can add domain, unfortunately, it doesn't work, but it's a limited demo... So my quetsion is : when you add a domain, can you add some email to it? Because when you want to add a email account, it seems that it's not possible to change the domain name.
- Same question for subdomain.

- Is it possible to change the path of a domain/subdomain?

Nikoms said:
- I saw in the demo, that users can add domain, unfortunately, it doesn't work, but it's a limited demo... So my quetsion is : when you add a domain, can you add some email to it?
Yes.
- Same question for subdomain.
When you add a subdomain under DirectAdmin it's a simple change to the httpd configuration to link a subdomain name to a subdirectory. If you need a full-service subdomain you set it up as a separate domain.
I'm not sure what you mean.

Jeff

I supsoe he want to change the path of the domain. Example my domain is in /home/subtitle/domains/mydomain.com/ and i want to change it to /home/subtitle/alldomain/mydomain.com/

Exactly, i want that my customer could say, the folder of my website is /home/web/ Then, if he want, add a subdomain "forum.mydomain.com" and put it on "/home/forum".

Is that possible? (of course from the user's root, not the real root)

Another question : If i already install apache2,php5 and mysql5, will the installation work?

Yes, there are plenty people running a setup like that. DA is very flexible when it comes to the versions of external programs used, unlike some other control panels.

A domain set up as a domain, as opposed to a subdomain, will point to:

/home/username/domains/example.com/public_html.

A subdomain set up as a subdomain of the above, for example sub.example.com, will point to:

/home/username/domains/example.com/public_html/sub/.

But there's nothing to stop you from setting up a subdomain as it's own domain on the server, in which case the subdomain, like a domain, would point to:

/home/username/domains/sub.example.com/public_html

If you do that you'll need to have either example.com also hosted on the same server, or you'll have to know how to assign DNS authority to your server, for the domain, or you'll have to set up DNS yourself on the server where the main domain is hosted.

Now if that doesn't answer your question, then i really don't know what you mean ;) .

Jeff

I'm not sure to understand :)

Can we manage the same way "added domain" and "master domain" (when you subscribe) ?

So add email, subdomain, etc.. Because in the demo (sorry I insist), there is no "select box" when you want to add a subdomain, you can only choose demo.com...It's normal here, but when you add a new domain, will the "select box" appear?

Thx :p

you can make what you want with sub.domain.tld
Just add it. Think it is a whole domain (but not really). Be carefull with dns.

Just the dns reports will fail because it's a sub domain, not a domain.

Nikoms, you can only add a full domain if your provider has set your account to host multiple domains.

All domains have all the features of the single domain; the only limitation is that they all share the bandwidth, mailbox, space, etc., limitations of the account, and you can't have multipe IP#s.

xemaps, if you want DNSReport to work for subdomains added as domains then you should add NS records to the main domain as follows:
Code:
sub.example.com. NS ns1.example.net
sub.example.com. NS ns2.example.net
where the ns1.example.net and ns2.example.net are replaced by the same nameservers you use for the main domain.

Jeff

jlasman said:
xemaps, if you want DNSReport to work for subdomains added as domains then you should add NS records to the main domain as follows:
Code:
sub.example.com. NS ns1.example.net
sub.example.com. NS ns2.example.net
where the ns1.example.net and ns2.example.net are replaced by the same nameservers you use for the main domain.

Jeff

Please try, you will see ;)
is dnsreport possible ?... :)

Nothing important wrong with our DNS. If you see something important let me know.

Jeff

Back