Frontpage 2000 help please

Ziggy

Verified User
I'm using frontpage 2000 so i come to this site to see how to publish and i can't figure it out, but the directions*which i followed exactly* didn't work. It came up with this error:

"could not find web server at 'www.awardsforexcellence.org' please check to make sure your webserver name is valid and your proxy settings are set correctly. If everything is correct, the webserver may be temporarily out of service."

first...where do i go to check proxy settings?
second...what do i check for?
third...if all of this is right....whats wrong?

Can you browse the site?
Are frontpage extensions enabled on your server?

To disable the proxy settings in Internet Explorer go to the menu on top select Tools > Internet Options > Connections > Lan Settings and see if a Proxy Server is active if so disable it.

Try again :)

p.s. Are you using DirectAdmin as a control panel on a server or did you just stumbled on this site when searching for Frontpage help?

Last edited:
Yes, i want to upload my site to hostpc.com so they can host it, i'm using frontpage 2000, i've enabled frontpage extensions, i don't know about proxy settings cause i'm at school right now but i'll check and post back asap. Thanks

Edit: I got it to upload to ftp://ftp.awardsforexcellence.org

but i don't want that :(

i just enabled frontpage extensions yesterday at about 10:30pm central time, does it take a while for it to actually configure itself? End Edit

Last edited:
Hello,

If you have root access to the server, check out the

/var/log/httpd/fpexec_log

for any possible hints.

John

checked proxy, thats alright

but

does the "enable frontpage extensions" take a long time to "develop" (for lack of a better word)

because i did it last night at about 10pm central so should it still be pending? or should it take effect immediately? thanks.

btw..John thanks for your help, i appreciate your response..but i have no clue as to what you said LOL but anyway i don't think i have root access to it anyway, hostpc.com does right?

Thanks again guys

When you enable the FrontPage extension it should be working instantly (after restarting Apache) as far as I know.. I do not know if your ISP (hostpc.com) have to 'clear it' for you?

Last edited:
i don't think so...

but what is apache?

also what should i look for when checking my DNS server?

If you enable frontpage extentions it should be ready instantly. I suggest you try and ask your host to check it. I myself don't use frontpage so I can't check it for you.

Although this could be a DA problem, I think this is a user problem to be honest ;)

no doubt its the user.....but what is the user doing that the user shouldn't be doing? or isn't doing what he should?

That's the part I'm unable to know since I don't use frontpage extentions to upload. If you ask someone who has used frontpage before to try and connect to your site then you should be able to figure out what to do and what to not do.

Can you connect to another site using frontpage extentions? Or is this the first one you've tried?

The user should be asking the provider if he should do it or if they should do it. If you shouldn't do it and they don't know how to do it. We should do it, well DA should. :confused:

:p

Sorry about that, I could not resist

Last edited:
1st time....

this is my first actual webpage, without using something like angelfire or something...

agh!

does no one use hostpc.com??

it's got to be the DNS settings right?? i have no clue but i'm paying for this and i don't like not having a site :D

The problem is we don't have root login, we don't have control panel login, so the only thing we can do is guess what's going on. Why don't you contact hostpc.com and ask them to check it for you?

we got it resolved, and now i'm up and runnin'

thanks for all your help guys

nevermind about the resolved thing....we don't

seems it SAYS i published it but when i click on the "see your published website" button it comes up with a forbidden error message......

what.....

the......

@#%$????

Check and make sure that it's there by having a look at the public_html directory through the Filemanager. You should see an index.htm or index.html file if it worked. (index.somehting anyway)

John

i just had to name my homepage "index.htm"

holy hell...........sorry for being so stupid, i've been wondering around trying to get this fixed and it was as simple as renaming something.........

i feel so friken stupid
rofl

Last edited:
Back