New Server. Which OS?

Brian S

Verified User
I've got a new server that will be hosting DA in the future. Which OS should I put on it? I've used RH up to this point, but I'm not sure what is the best route to take with the recent RH debacle.

Also, any partitioning tips for DA?

Thanks,

Brian

My next server will be freebsd I'm pretty sure. Probably 5.1 :)

Not sure what to suggest for partitioning.

I pretty much need something in the Linux realm. I'm the admin at the moment, so I need something I know and can get apps for easily.

Thanks,

Brian

Then you're stuck with Redhat, at least until fbsd 5.1 is finished.

At the moment:

RHL 7.2
RHL 7.3
RHL 8
RHL 9
FBSD 4.8
FBSD 4.9
FBSD 5.0 (beta)
FBSD 5.1 (beta)

RHEL has been given an estaimted release time of 1 - 2 months (posted in another thread)

For now we are expecting to use RHEL ES once its supported fully... until then 9 is our choice :)

Recommended partioning for DirectAdmin is:

/boot 40 meg
/dev/shm 2 x memory
/ rest of drive

(taken from the installation guide)

Chris

Yes, that would be my choice.

What's wrong with BSD though? Is it simply because you're not used to it?

l0rdphi1 said:
Yes, that would be my choice.

We're looking into managed services and they don't provide freebsd support.

Isn't that right Chris ;)

l0rdphi1 said:

Thats the main reason, as has been mentioned in the off topic OS discussions fbsd is nothing like your normal linux (redhat, debian etc)

Now obviously they are all diferent... I think I could and would get on with debian well.... FBSD from what i have heard is quite different and no better than something like debian.

At the moment i'm aiming to start with RHEL asap, if I look into learning other OS's after that it will more than likely be debian.

RHEL and RHL and staying as my main areas for now at least :)

Chris

So RH 9 is pretty stable? Anyone had any problems with it and DA? Just want to make sure before I give the server tech the go-ahead.

Thanks,

Brian

Nothing to an extent that you wouldnt epxect...... I have never had a problem with 9 myself... the only things ive even seen with DA are the zlib / zend issues whcih are now fixed.

Chris

ProWebUK said:
At the moment:

For now we are expecting to use RHEL ES once its supported fully... until then 9 is our choice :)

Recommended partioning for DirectAdmin is:

/boot 40 meg
/dev/shm 2 x memory
/ rest of drive

(taken from the installation guide)

Chris

As a general rule, although having a single partition might be very convinient, it is not considered a best practice.

If you are planning to heavily use MySQL, I would recommend to have a separate partition (ext2) on /var or /var/lib at the very least (ext3 might cause performance problems with MySQL without proper tuning).

Back