Forum SPAM

jjbakker

Verified User
Is it possible to do something about the forum spam?
It's really annoying :mad:

It's because the spam bots automatically register and post on the site. Image verification used to work on vbulletin forums but the spam bots have even bypassed that now.

The best method at the moment is a vb mod that asks a question at signup to stop automated spam bot signups:

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=124828

But to install that the forum would have to be upgraded to vb 3.6.4.

Steve

Im surpised nobody has bothered to upgrade these forums. Seems like they dont care about the forums much which is kindof reflective of everything else DA does. This version of VB is vuln and its only a matter of time since the forum is hacked not to mention spammed up the kerhilk. v2.9.4 is few years old. I guess DA is so busy with updates to the DA software (NOT) they just dont have the time. Sometimes, i think this whole thing is a one or two man show. I'd say, get some more staff and start offering some decent forum help and get your forums software in gear before somebody does a dirty number on it.

You don't have to click on the spam, you know.

The admins log in to delete it when they get a chance.

Jeff

I think the one who created this post has nothing better to do ... Get a Life !!

about the spam issue .. maybe a need of account activation after registering can solve this problem ?

gcypher said:
I think the one who created this post has nothing better to do ... Get a Life !!

about the spam issue .. maybe a need of account activation after registering can solve this problem ?
c

Sorry i couldn't resist..but thanks for your helpfull answer!

rest my case...

Spammers have systems to do automatic account activation. They're not logging in by hand.

Some of them can even manage activation requiring captchas.

Jeff

i tought a new account registration would generate some sort of id .. so how would the scripts know what id to confirm :S

but hey i can be wrong ... its just a tought of mine

Also, as far as updating the forums, I know that vBulletin 3.6.3 had quite a few major template changes. Seeing as though these forums have a custom skin AND are still on 2.2.9, an update to the latest and greatest would involve DA to upgrade to vB 3.6.x financially, as well as alot of theme re-working.

Back