dspam implementation?

Scott DeLeury

Verified User
I've been playing with dspam a little bit, and it seems to have some reallly powerful capabilities.

I've run across articles on how to chain dspam to SA so that dspam utilizes SA's findings, as well as some "per-user" dspam web console php scripts.

Would be great to see the whole clamav, SA, DSpam (with web console), exim 4.x combination for directadmin as I think that could really cut things down to nil as far as spam goes.

Pipe-dream and alot of work more than likely, but no matter what I do, I still get some amount of spam in on a daily basis...I know nothing will ever cut it off completely, but you can always hope :)

I'm going out to buy the book (if the stores are open today), and will study DSPAM.

But putting into the SpamBlocker3 release would hold up the release too long, so it's not going to be in the final release.

Why not add it as a request to the SpamBlocker4 forum :) ?

Jeff

Will do Jeff, though I think your best reading for what will need to be done in the DA case is going to be on the net, and piecing together some of the available articles.

I can dig up some links for you if you want.

Please always help. I'm just one guy and I spend most of my time making a living :) .

Jeff

No decision has been made yet on implementing DSpam.

But to answer your question, SA doesn't work well for a lot of us; it uses too many resources.

Jeff

I've seen dspam being used by some friends (yeah, those nerd guys everyone knows ;)), it works quite nicely, and is way faster than SA. However I don't think it would be easy to implement in DA...

The book wasn't available in local stores, and I haven't bought it yet.

Since I want to bring out SpamBlocker3 as soon as possible, I'm not going to include dspam in it.

Jeff

Hi,

Reading about DSPAM...

Could this article help ?

Also found this pack from a french blog "You will find here the archive that allow you to configure exim4 with dspam, and a pretty good dpsam configuration.

French Blog

Last edited:
Sure it helps. What it doesn't do is automatically install DSPAM, which is yet another program. Let me see a show of hands; how many people want to run yet another daemon on their servers?

Anyone?

Talk...

Jeff

As far as I see, (but remember, I''m *not* an expert!), I'm now running spamassassin.

Your spamblocker (version 2) takes care of about half our spam (we don't have as much spam as a lot of you guys who are really hosting, just a few domains hosted), Spamassassin tags about a quarter and the last quarter isn't being tagged.

If DSPAM tags more or takes care of more I wouldn't mind. But I still would like the availlability of choosing how spam (if tagged) should be handled, still delivered, a spam box or black hole....

In short, I wouldn't mind an extra daemon if it does the job ;)...

Hi Jeff,

I am looking forward to having Spamblocker + DSPAM and remove spamassassin from our boxes.

Furthermore a lot of people admit that DSPAM system reach a pretty great level of spams detection and is not so greedy as spamassassin.

I'd also like to keep ClamAV scanning for viruses and malwares due to the high numbers of Windows users.

So count my vote for Spamblocker + ClamAV + DSPAM.

If a plugin would be released and able to manage this, I would probably buy it to manage on some servers, as long as the price is fair.

Gregory

Last edited:
Same here,

Spamblocker blocks a huge number of spam as a first line of defense but many still trickle through, spam assassin normally gets about quarter that are left after that and at the same time running up my server load.

If dspam does indeed use less resources and does work better and still provides the option to turn it on and off per account that would work just dandy for me.

Jeff,

I guess this is the easiest article and most precise one.

It keeps SA scanning, and it feeds DSPAM learning from the spam.

Just after running ...

# groupadd dspam
# useradd -s /bin/false -m -c "DSpam" -g dspam dspam
# usermod -G mail dspam
# cd /usr/local/src
# wget http://dspam.nuclearelephant.com/sources/dspam-3.6.8.tar.gz
# tar xvfz dspam-3.6.8.tar.gz
# cd dspam-3.6.8
# ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/encap/dspam-3.6.8 --sysconfdir=/etc --enable-spam-delivery
# make
# make install

Article :

http://dspamwiki.expass.de/Installation/Exim/SpamAssassin

Thanks.

I'll look at that when I have a chance.

But it won't be the default for SpamBlocker3, because to replace SpamAssassin with dpsm will require agreement with, and timing with, DirectAdmin staff.

Jeff

Has anyone gotten dspam to work? I've played around with it for a bit tonight using that article linked by Maniak, but perhaps I'm a bit rusty on this stuff. Exim is saying the program could not be executed:

2007-01-29 00:41:02 1HBQCM-000054-Jx == [email protected] R=dspam_router T=dspam_spam check defer (-24): Transport filter process failed (1)

This may be due to something screwball I've done in the exim.conf or dspam install. Would anyone who has this working mind posting their configs and install procedure? Thanks!

Oh but there is something far superior to Dspam or any other implamentation that we are currently in final testing with.

It blows away SA + Mailscanner, spamd and all those horrible cpu intense solutons that everyone has been implamenting. I cant reveal what it is at this time but its in the works of being offered as an installation on your server (FreeBSD right now) followed by a plugin that we are working on. The plugin is a few months away but those we prefer a manual installation will get the plugin for free when we have completed it and tested it. The plugins will give full spam control, whitelisting, blacklisting, option to filter your mail via RBL, URIBL, Virus control, PTR, HELO blacklisting, SRS signing Bayesian, Delaying, scoring, spoofing and dictionary attacks are a thing of the past, plus much more that can be controlled at the user level as well as the admin level. In addition, a no processing option is available for those who want ZERO spam filtering. Some of our users want no spam processing at all (CRAZY) but the option will be available for those who want it!

Thanks

Last edited:
we are a few months down the track has anything come of this Pucky.
Be very interested to know what you have going on?

Back