Majordomo is frusterating me, maybe a bug?

digilexic

Verified User
I tried to create a mailing list under one of my virtual domains. It is a closed list, and I was expecting the approval emails to go to my main account for the virtiual domain, but they are going to my admin account on the server! Somebody please help me as I am pretty sure that my users dont want me to offer them mailing lists on their virtual accounts when all the approvals go to the server admin account!

I don't think that is it.

The post you referenced looks exactly like I SHOULD be getting, but I am not. perhaps this will clarify

I have a dedicated server called myname.com, on that server I have multiple virtual accounts.

On one of my virtual accounts, lets say virtualname.com, I tried to setup a closed mailing list, closed means users requesting list membership must be approved by the list owner before being added.

The problem is, instead of being sent to the owner of the list (which is [email protected]) it is being sent to the email of the main server account ([email protected]) Now, I personally do not want to have to play approval person for every customer who has a virtual account on my server if you know what I mean, and herein lies the problem.

This thread http://www.directadmin.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1419 looks like it might be a similar problem to what I am currently having with virtualdomains and the [email protected] being sent to the main address of the server and not the virtuial account, but I do not know where to go from there.

Last edited:
I too don't like majordomo. It's too messy. You can checkout all the aliases that do the "work" in /etc/virtual/domain.com/majordomo/list.aliases. There are also aliases in the private.aliases file, but those are only called by the internal system for outgoing emails.

John

That appears to be related to the problem I posted about a few weeks ago with the digest. You can look at the post Here . There may be something similar for admin type posts.

This is still a problem. It seems that things like the moderated posts aree going to the virtual servers email address, but the majordomo listowner ones even though they are configured to go to the virtual domain account, are going to the servers account.

I can't seem to find any help anywhere on the web.

If DirectAdmin is setting up Majordomo wrong, then that's a DirectAdmin issue and needs to be taken up with DirectAdmin tech support.

It's not a majordomo bug; majordomo is setting up the list exactly as DirectAdmin is telling it to.

You can install Majorcool (http://www.conveyanced.com/MajorCool/) and do the administration yourself; there's a great howto at "http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Majordomo-MajorCool-HOWTO/x424.html".

Or you can control Majordomo yourself with email commands (see the Majordomo FAQ at "http://www.greatcircle.com/majordomo/majordomo-faq.html").

Jeff

Hello,

Perhaps we can have a look at it and see how it's setup vs. how you want it to be setup. We'll need to figure out what needs to be changed to make it work the way that you want, so if you can provide your ip, rootpass, da login/pass as well as a note on what is happening, for which accounts, and what you want it to do, for which accounts, we can take a peek.

John

Thanks to Jon, This problem was fixed!

Its not a Majordomo issue, it was that I named my server the same as my domain name. There was a valid reason for this that I have not solved though.

It seems that all my scripts that use sendmail use my [email protected] instead of [email protected] when sending mail. With AOL this causes the mail to bounce back because server.domain.com does not really exist, and AOL does a DNS lookup and if it returns "not found" will bounce the message, Other ISP's use this method too.
Changing the name back to server.domain.com has started the problem again.

Anybody have a fix for this?

Our systems share the same domain with as some of our websites, including for example, www.example.com running on the server named bill.example.com.

If this causes a problem with majordomo, it needs to be fixed by John and Mark.

However if what you're saying is you don't want to have a DNS entry for bill.example.com (as an example), then that's your fault, because the mailserver will always identify itself with the machine name, and many sites, rightly or wrongly, now check to make sure it resolves before accepting email from it.

Some (for example Verizon) even refuse email if the reverse DNS doesn't perfectly match.

Jeff

What I had done was renamed server.doamin.com to just domain.com (the same as my main site), and all the majordomo mail was going to my admin account instead of to the virtual one. when I changed it back to server.domain.com (actually John did) the mail now goes to the virtual account (the actual list owner)

The reason I had changed the server name from server.domain.com to domain.com is because some of my perl scripted sites use sendmail to mail users from the site (so they dont have to post their address)

When sendmail sent out a message from a virtual domain, it always has a return address of [email protected] which did not resolve in DNS. I added the server.domain.com. to my DNS settings, but I still sometimes had bounced mail. Once I changed the server name to domain.com these bounces stopped. The have since started again with the change back. Majordomo works fine now, but sendmail in all my scripts is sending out the email as [email protected] instead of [email protected]

You could of course tell sendmail to use any domain you want it to when sending email, except that DirectAdmin doesn't use sendmail.

it uses exim, which is the most highly configurable mailserver there is.

Jeff

I am sorry but I dont see how this helps me? ARe you saying that my scripts aren't using sendmail? Or are you saying something else?

that's correct. Your box doesn't have sendmail.

What it has is a link named sendmail that actually sends the message to exim.

Exim is highly configurable and you can probably configure it to anything you want.

Do this from your box $ prompt:

telnet localhost 25

to see what version of Exim you're running.

Then get the exim book you need depending on the version. O'Reilly publishes a great book for Version 3.x and UIT Cambridge publishes a great book for Version 4.x; you can find the latter book here.

If you're running Version 3.x you'll probably want to upgrade to Version 4 (search the archives here for instructions), but the book for Version 4 costs a lot more unless you're in the UK where it's published.

You'll need Exim version 4 to install my forthcoming anti-spam solution (also discussed in the archives).

Jeff

Hello,

You could add a dns zone for server.domain.com so that it has it's own MX record (or this could be done inside the domain.com zone). This will allow [email protected] to be a valid email address and will probably stop the bouncing.

John

Back