how to restore everything?

Lem0nHead

Verified User
hello

I run some FreeBSD 4.11 servers, but since it's losing its support this month, I'd like to migrate to FreeBSD 6.1
I found it's almost impossible to do this migration another way then reinstalling everything, so I'd like to know how you suggest it to be done
my main idea is to have another server setted up with the current HD as backup and with FreeBSD 6.1 and DirectAdmin installed

then I'd like to do a couple of "cp", reboot and get everything working as before :)

my idea was to replace the new /usr/local/directadmin/ dir by the old one and same for /home/, /var/mail/, /var/spool/, some /etc files and some others dirs/files (that you could help me recall :))

seems so simple and I'll probably forget something, so I'd like to know if anyone have already done that and/or have suggestions

do you think that using the DA backup/restore tool would be more appropriate?
I want that to be as fast as possible (I would expect it to take no more than 2 hours)
the idea would also be to set the DNS first and then start to recover account by account so the downtime be small for the first account restored and big for the last one... but not big for all of them :)
with raw system files copy (with the "cp" command I told), I'd first install the DNS files to archive that

Hello,

I would recommend making backups from the "Reseller Level -> Manage User Backups" section first before taking down the server. Then move the disk over, put the user.tar.gz files into the /home/admin/user_backups directory of the new server (install DA on it first), and do a 1 click restore of all account through the Reseller Level -> Manage User Bacukps section.
General guide, start at step 3:
http://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=57

You can do it manually if you wish, but thinks like mysql database that use different versions of mysql might break (as data stored on disk varies between versions) instead of using a plaintext sql file.
If you go manually, a list of files are here:
directadmin.com/paths.html

John

Hello,

I would recommend making backups from the "Reseller Level -> Manage User Backups" section first before taking down the server. Then move the disk over, put the user.tar.gz files into the /home/admin/user_backups directory of the new server (install DA on it first), and do a 1 click restore of all account through the Reseller Level -> Manage User Bacukps section.
General guide, start at step 3:
http://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=57

You can do it manually if you wish, but thinks like mysql database that use different versions of mysql might break (as data stored on disk varies between versions) instead of using a plaintext sql file.
If you go manually, a list of files are here:
directadmin.com/paths.html

John

thanks
I got new questions about restoring
the server will have new IPs, and I host my users on different IP than my resellers users
I should then log to each reseller account and do this process of backuping and then restoring?
how would the resellers account theirselfs be restored?

thanks

First you create the empty reseller accounts. This ensures that they are Resellers. Login as that Reseller, go to their Restore page and restore their own user.tar.gz file. It will restore the User portion of their account to their new Reseller account.

For the IPs, make sure you assign the Reseller the IP you want via the Admin Level -> IP Manager. Once assigned, login as the Reseller again, at the IP Assignments page, set any IPs that are going to be shared as shared. Go to the restore page again and put the Users on the IPs you want.

John

Back