This Is Difficult - I Am A Woman - Please Help

linda

Verified User
Hi guys

I'm in a pickle. Not sure if I've even purchased the right package. All I want to do is build a website with a shopping cart - an online catalogue basically. I have Frontpage, which I'm fairly OK with - can do tables etc etc. What I'm really having difficulty getting to grips with is that I've done a test site - not much on it, and want to load it up into my web-space. I've tried and it doesn't seem to work. I can't log onto my site. It isn't because it's new I've had this space about 3 months and keep going back to it.

Biggest problems is that I seem to have duplicated all the folders. Can anyone point me in the right direction - an idiots guide or something, or would any of you kind people out there be willing to wet nurse me through it? A lot to ask I know...... Desperate.

Once your logged into DirectAdmin for your domain:

-> file manager
-> public_html

You should see index.html and possibly other files here, this directory is basically the index of yor website

public_html/index.html

is the same as

yourdomain.com/index.html

if you want to use FTP just login and again, use your public_html folder :)

Chris

HMMMM Kind of knew that - BUT

when I type in www.mydomain.co.uk, all I get is a screen saying that in order to get rid of it, I have to upload my website into the public_html. I thought I had done this and nothing happens - am I being dumb???? What else can I check. When I look in the index in my ftp software, I find that I have about 4 indices all the same. It looks as though I've been re-creating them without realising. How do I know which is the real one and which are the ones that I've created. What would happen if I deleted by accident the public_html folder that directadmin supplied. Or is it not possible. you see I need to get rid of some files, because they are duplicated - and I don't know how, this is as well as not being able to log on to my web page.

I hope this makes sense.

Thank you for getting back to me.

Linda

Ensure you remove the DA index.html thats there as default :)

Chris

HI ME AGAIN

Thank you for getting back to me.

It hasn't worked. I've got to take my children to cubs, but if you're going to be kind enough to reply - I'll get back to you later. I really need to do this.

Thanks.

hmm.... are you going directly to the file....... eg domain.com/file.php or just domain.com?

You could try a basic html page named test.php and go to domain.com test.php to check...

Chris

THANKS

I feel so dumb at this - i will get there - I will try it and come back. Where are you from? Are you in US? I'm just wondering how much time I've got left before you abandon me (lol)!!:)

ProwebUK ought to give some hint of his location ;)

What you could do is go to the file manager in DA and try changing the index.html file there. Alternatively you could use an FTP program to upload a new index.html / index.php file and check it out.

The file manager is located in your control panel on :2222/CMD_FILE_MANAGER

[edit]
Perhaps the domain name hasn't propagated yet, in which case you should use the ip address you've been given when you signed up. You would do this by entering http://ip-address/~username

Last edited:
THANKS TO YOU GUYS

Thanks to you guys. I appreciate your help. I'm going to work on a few of the suggestions and get back to you. Meanwhile I've got deadlines in my business to meet, children to feed, puppy to potty train, house to clean etc etc - I'll be needing a wig soon, when I've got no hair left.

Thanks once again - I'll be back when I've tried a few of the suggestions.

Linda x

I THINK I'VE REALLY SCREWED UP

Hi again

I think I've really screwed up now. Whenever I try to log onto my site, I get a forbidden message come up. This is the site, that I've been unable to use as, when I loaded up to the public_html folder, I still got the message telling me that the page would disappear once I'd uploaded my site the public_html folder. I'm new at all this, and really haven't a clue. I could do with someone to talk me through. Someone did in fact try last week, but I'm a mother looking after children too and so I can't get a window long enough to have a really good bash at it. Please help.

Linda

Hello,

If you havn't changed anything, then contact your webhost in case they have been doing anything with the server. Try uploading your site again.

John

Back