cannot receive mail from yahoo, gmail...

gate2vn

Verified User
after upgrading to Spamblocker3, all messages from Yahoo, Gmail... will be returned. The error message is

========================
This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification

Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently:

<my email address>

Technical details of permanent failure:
PERM_FAILURE: SMTP Error (state 9): 550 Forged Gmail, not sent from your account.
========================

Any idea to fix this?

thanks,

Hey,

Yes... Look for the section in the exim.conf that starts with this:

Code:
######################
# FORGED MAIL CHECKS #
# host name based !  #
######################

deny message = Forged Yahoo mail, not sent from your account.
senders = *@yahoo.com
condition = ${if match {$sender_host_name}{\Nyahoo.com$\N}{no}{yes}}

Then, just comment out the ones you do not want to check/block.

David

I've checked this today on my install and both emails from a gmail account and hotmail account came through. I'm guessing he sent it from his isp mail servers and not the gmails/yahoos.

Correct me if I'm wrong anyone.

Grant

I'm guessing he sent it from his isp mail servers and not the gmails/yahoos

I guess I can see which one is yahoo/gmail ;) In fact, I dont use my isp mail servers.

I have checked again, see some messages could come through, but some could not. I thought about the IP in blacklist (I am in Vietnam, and many IP addresses here are in blacklists), but checking in RBLs, see nothing from these IPs. Some customers in France using gmail could not send message to me either.

That's why I am raising a question :)

David: of course, I can comment them out, but I wonder why it lets some messages come through, and prevents some?

If it's the Spamblocker3 code doing the blocking ...

Then ...

It simply compares against the servername doing the sending.

You can find more details in the /var/log/exim/rejectlog log file.

While we're making some changes in the release version (yes, there are several reasons it's late), the posted code us should work.

Jeff

well... in rejectlog, it even has less details :(

# grep "xxxxxxx" rejectlog
2007-01-22 22:25:24 H=(web56512.mail.re3.yahoo.com) [66.196.97.41] F=<[email protected]> rejected RCPT <my email address>: Forged Yahoo mail, not sent from your account.

# grep "xxxxxxx" mainlog
2007-01-22 22:25:24 H=(web56512.mail.re3.yahoo.com) [66.196.97.41] F=<[email protected]> rejected RCPT <my email address>: Forged Yahoo mail, not sent from your account.
2007-01-22 22:25:24 H=(web56512.mail.re3.yahoo.com) [66.196.97.41] incomplete transaction (QUIT) from <[email protected]>

But that shows that the code in question is indeed the culprit. So comment it out and restart exim.

Jeff

I have a customer who has had this problem several of his clients. I tried to explain the problem, but they do not care and want a resolution. Other then commenting out the rules in Exim.conf, is there something else I can do? Can I just bypass this user's domain from using the ruleset?

Hey,

I believe the only solution you have is to comment out the offending lines.

David

I just answered this in another thread. You can write your own bypass solution, or comment out the code. If there's interest, I'll put bypass code into the final SpamBlocker3.

Do you recommend positive or negative checking? Or in otherwords:

Would you rather maintain a list of domains for which the checking is done?

Or a list of domains for which the checking is not done?

Jeff

definitely "Or a list of domains for which the checking is not done?"

Because many people use their own servers but return addresses from AOL, MSN, etc., and it causes a lot of false positives.

Any suggestions?

Jeff

got the problem to while testing a fallback setup.. Quite obvious that i got this though since the mails get "rewritten" by the fallback host ;)
so heres another vote to drop that code :)

Back