Testing DirectAdmin on Debian Etch 4.0 (Report)

Soldier

Verified User
Testing DirectAdmin on Etch -> Debian 4.0 Testing Report

Hello friends!

I've installed DirectAdmin on Debian 4.0 Etch (i've modified /etc/debian_release for access the repository with setup.sh) And let's go!! For the moment, it's installed and i haven't problems. I will report any kind of problems here and it's solution if i can :)

Last edited:
Debian 4.0 (etch) without problems too...

Ive installed few days ago DA on Debian 4.0 (etch) with method like You.
Ive changed /etc/debian_version from 4.0 to 3.1 and after this I run setup.sh.
What I see when I was installing:
Packages names from Debian 3.1 to 4.0 are changing and setup.sh dont install this packages:
gd krb5-libs krb5-devel perl-DBI

After this I have problems with running /usr/local/directadmin/da-popb4smtp (errors about dependencies when system was started) because its using old libstdc-5 package [in etch its version 6]. It can be installed by normal way (libstdc++5).

In general everything is ok, but when I found some time I will check all function.

btw: Iam new in DA and what was strange, that its add to /etc/ssh/sshd_config lines like:
AllowUsers root
AllowUsers admin

which means that just this account can be logged to system.
Be careful when You have PermitRootLogin no and loooong way to server with DA because after disconnect You will be without access to server...

Best regards
Akron Admin

There is a little bug with the build script, it checks for fedora, freebsd etc.. but not for debian:

[root@mordor (/usr/local/directadmin/customapache)]# ./build webalizer
cat: /etc/redhat-release: No such file or directory
cat: /etc/redhat-release: No such file or directory

I haved little problems for service restarts:

Bind: DirectAdmin uses /etc/init.d/named but the script was in /etc/init.d/bind. You can make a link with "ln" command.

Exim: DirectAdmin uses "killall" command, but by default psmisc isn't installed on Debian 4.0, you can easily install it: apt-get install psmisc.

Hm...
Strange - I have /etc/init.d/named to /etc/initd.d/bind9 linked BUT I found another problem:

In /etc/rc2.d/ I have:
S20bind9
S20directadmin

When bind starts before directadmin - named dont bind ALL ips [just first ip].
I fix it by:
mv /etc/rc2.d/S20bind9 /etc/rc2.d/S21bind9

I ran into a problem with DST. I'm running a mixed system of stable and testing which now I can't easliy update for DST. So I'm wondering if it's safe to upgrade all to testing or not?

I'm using Debian Etch+DirectAdmin in all my hosting servers. And i haven't no problems.

Thanks,

Currently running one server with etch+DA, seems to work fine so far.

You can install Debian 3.1 and Directadmin, then you upgrade to Debian 4.0 and that work !

Bye,
Debweb !

Yes, it's in BETA now :)

Hi, question, any ETA time when BETA comes to STABLE ?

if wanna running etch, without problems, i suggest pre install these:

apt-get install libperl-dev gcc g++ make unzip liburi-perl libxml2-dev libstdc++5 libstdc++5-3.3-dev psmisc libextutils-autoinstall-perl

Last edited:
Back