Not sending mail

Peter

Verified User
I just installed gnuworld which should send mail on registering (webbased).
/usr/sbin/sendmail is what it should be, but it just doesn't send ANY mail.

Someone has an idea?

Hello,

Check your /var/log/exim/mainlog for clues. Also check and make sure that 1) /usr/sbin/sendmail exists, and 2) is a symbolic link pointing to exim.
Code:
ls -l /usr/sbin/sendmail
It should also be chmodded to +s so that anyone can run it.

John

DirectAdmin Support said:
It should also be chmodded to +s so that anyone can run it.
I don't think so, John. On none of my boxes is any link chmodded +s.

Of course exim itself is.

Jeff

First of all, please realize that if the domains in your post aren't the ones actually used in the test, if you changed them to keep us seeing what was really there, then there's no way anyone can help you.

According to your post, you tried to send mail to "[email protected]".

mydomain.com is a domain owned by someone in Vancouver, Washington. Mail sent to that domain is handled by three mx servers:

mx 0 m1.dnsix.com
mx 1800 m.dnsix.com
mx 1800 ms1.dnsix.com

Since the first and last are the same, only the first two "count".

What this error is telling us is that you reached an mx server, either (probably) m.dnsix.com, or m.dnsix.com. And that the mailserver tried to find dns records for shell.myselldomain.com, but returned that shell.myselldomain.com wasn't in DNS as a valid domain.

Most mail servers, including the ones acting as mx for mydomain.com, won't accept email from servers it can't verify as existing. If your server doesn't exist it shouldn't be able to send mail, should it?

Spammers often use phony domain names; mailservers that block mail from nonexisting domains (and therefor nonexistent servers) do it in an attempt to keep spam traffic down.

If that's really the error message you got, then the test is faulty because it uses nonreal information.

If that's not the error message you got, then of course we can't help you unless you give us the real information.

Jeff

[cut]...[/cut]
I added DNS entry for the shell. thingy and now it works, thanks

Last edited:
Hello,

I don't think so, John. On none of my boxes is any link chmodded +s.
Correct, my fingers were ignoring my brain ;) /usr/sbin/sendmail is linked to exim, and exim is +s

John

Back