Debian 3.1 Install

poppabear

Verified User
Was considering installing DA onto a Debian 3.1 box, However i would like to know what kind of issues has people come across, would like to know the difference between:

FreeBSD 6.2 with DA
Debian 3.1 with DA

this is for a web and shell hosting server,

i need to know whats best for me .... as i see alot of issues with the bsd installs and fewer for Debian.

I'm familier with Freebsd systems, not much with other OS's.

I figured that DA will do most the work for me, but i just want some feedback and some thoughts on this, please reply quickly as i am looking to make a move soon :)

thanks in advanced,
poppabear

I've been running a hand full of debian boxes with DA the past month and I haven't had any problems to speak of. That being said, they are very minimal installs with little traffic. If you're a fan of Debian and DA, this should run well for you.

Running two Debian 3.1 boxes for over a year now using DA. Works great I must say!

Regards, Jeroen.

Running Debian 3.1 boxes for 9 months. No problems but some updating (search for my threads).

Running Debian 3.1 boxes for 9 months. No problems but some updating (search for my threads).

Yeah, well Wael's scripts are cool, but sometimes lack on Debian support. I wish I had some more time to setup something up like Wael, but for Debian or maybe put the Debian part into Wael's script :)

Yeah, well Wael's scripts are cool, but sometimes lack on Debian support. I wish I had some more time to setup something up like Wael, but for Debian or maybe put the Debian part into Wael's script :)

I also like a solution for this. If you plan starting on an adapted update script, I can help you if you like.

I also like a solution for this. If you plan starting on an adapted update script, I can help you if you like.

Well I'd like to create an update script and maybe integrate into Wael's script. Lots of his update packages do work on Debian, so why write something completely new when it already exists?! :)

At this moment I haven't really got a test machine to test scripts etc, how about you? I'm sure we could work something out! Atleast I'm willing to :)

I agree and can integrate it into Wael's script. I have a test machine up but not planning to install DA on it.

Maybe someone is willing to sponsor us a temporarily DA license, would you mind installing DA on the test machine if that'd be the case?

Not the one I mentioned, but I think it is possible to find another machine for installing DA.

We should contact Wael about this, I'll send him a private message.

Ok - done! Now we wait :)

Last edited:
update.script Version: 1.1
OpenSSL (did not work with Debian, FreeBSD & OS 64bit)
Exim (did not work with Debian, FreeBSD & OS 64bit)
OpenSSH (work fine with Debian)
ProFTP (work fine with Debian)
phpMyAdmin (work fine with Debian, FreeBSD)
MySQL (did not test it with Debian, FreeBSD)
ClamAV (work fine with Debian, FreeBSD)
MRTG (work fine with Debian, FreeBSD)
SquirrelMail (work fine with Debian, FreeBSD)
SquirrelMail full language pack (work fine with Debian, FreeBSD)
SpamAssassin (work fine with Debian, FreeBSD)
IMAP 2004c1 (did not test it with Debian, FreeBSD)
MODsecurity (work fine with Debian, FreeBSD)
MODsecurity Rules (work fine with Debian, FreeBSD)
MODevasive (work fine with Debian, FreeBSD)
KISS My Firewall (work fine with Debian, FreeBSD)
eAccelerator (work fine with Debian, FreeBSD)

I do 1 day test in SeLLeRoNe (Debian server), Thanks SeLLeRoNe for test server.
I don't have test server :)

Wael

Last edited:
Exim update (to 4.66) worked for me.

Don't have a test server available right now. I can bring up a server at home or office, you can use that one. But don't have an extra DA license.

Back