installing imagemagick

teedee

Verified User
Hi,

I used an rpm to install imagemagick and it all seemed to go OK, but scripts that need it still don't work. How can I find out the path to imagemagick needed for the scripts config ?

rpm -ql ImageMagick

Would show you all the files installed with the rpm.

Chris

I seem to remember on CPanel it was something like
/usr/X116/bin/convert

The closest thing I can find is

/usr/bin/sfconvert or
/usr/bin/jv-convert

Any other way of finding the path for scripts to use ? Or is it possible to re-install imagemagick so I specify the path that will be used for scripts ?

Is there a better way of installing it than using the rpm ?

Thanks

Anyone have any advice ?
I am still not able to find out if the install is OK or not or what the path is :(

teedee said:
I seem to remember on CPanel it was something like
/usr/X116/bin/convert

The closest thing I can find is

/usr/bin/sfconvert or
/usr/bin/jv-convert

Any other way of finding the path for scripts to use ? Or is it possible to re-install imagemagick so I specify the path that will be used for scripts ?

Is there a better way of installing it than using the rpm ?

Thanks

the redhat rpm via up2date stores the files in /usr/X11/convert (and the rest) as far was i remember. the rpm off the imagemagick website installs the executables to /usr/local/bin

do a: find / -name "convert*"

that should show you the location...let me know

van

So is the answer "yes"?

Does imagemagick just "work" out of the box, so-to-speak, once it's installed from RPMs?

Anyone got it working with RHL 7.3 ?

With RHL 9 ?

With FreeBSD/DirectAdmin ?

We have a client who needs it on his new DA server and i want to know the best direction to go with this.

Thanks.

Jeff

i need it for a client that wants a php image gallery, is basic rpm install enough?

jlasman said:
So is the answer "yes"?

Does imagemagick just "work" out of the box, so-to-speak, once it's installed from RPMs?

Anyone got it working with RHL 7.3 ?

With RHL 9 ?

With FreeBSD/DirectAdmin ?

We have a client who needs it on his new DA server and i want to know the best direction to go with this.

Thanks.

Jeff

Freebsd:

I dont know if you have it allready, but i just did this:

cd /usr/ports/graphics/ImageMagick/
make
make install
make clean

and it worked

Gotta Love These Old Unresolved Forum THreads

• Although Menalto Gallery does use ImageMagick, you must have ImageMagick already installed before Menalto Gallery will run. Unfortunately Menalto Gallery does not install ImageMagick for you, nor does it tell you how to install ImageMagick.

Sadly we've had to give up installing Menalto Gallery on our remotely hosted RHL 9 DA production server because ImageMagick was not installed by the box provider. Being *nix newbies we don't have the confidence to install RPM files without putting the health of our entire server at risk We also do not have a local *nix development box to practice on. :mad:

vandal said:
    yes it is enough. most scripts ask you to input the path of the binaries.

last time I checked 'gallery' a free open source image gallery had the option to use imagemagick.

http://gallery.menalto.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=index

check it out.

To install image magick on redhat 9.

yum install ImageMagick

or download the RPM from their website and rpm -Uvh <rpm name>

or log into your server and go "man rpm" that will show you how to use the rpm command.

also gallery normally has many security problems, so keep watching their site and keep their install updated or you could comprimise your server.

Back