Proftpd.passwd file permission incorrect

TeleXS

Verified User
Hello all,

I'm having a problem with proftpd.
As soon as a new FTP user is added, the proftpd.passwd file permissions are changed on this file. Results: proftpd give me this error..

error: unable to open passwd file '/etc/proftpd.passwd': Permission denied

This is because proftpd can't read it.. (permissions thing)
I can change it, so users are able to login, but i can't know when users are added, changed or whatever... :)

ok.. so this is a bug i think. please fix this.. or tell me how.
It's kinda annoying for me and especially for my customers.:(

The rest is working fine..

Hello,

Could you specify 1) what the permissions it's setting them to 2) what you're setting them to and 3) why the permissions from #1 arn't working? .. We havn't seen this issue, so some setting might have been changed, or not setup correctly during the install... have to wait for your reply to find out :)

John

Hi John,

The permission is set to 640 (after modifying a ftp account by customers, or adding one)

This won't work.. because proftp can't READ the file...
I change it manually to 644 (so proftpd can actually read this file)
and it works again...

see my problem?

hehe
:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Hello,

Yes, but the group should be "ftp" which is what proftpd runs as.. thus I don't understand why it isn't reading on your system. Check the /etc/proftpd.conf and make sure the User and Group are both set to "ftp" .. and also make sure that "ftp" group exists:

id ftp

John

OK.. fixed :p

The daemon was running as: nobody | nogroup
Changed it to: ftp | ftp

and it is working...

thanks...

Life can sometimes be so simple.. :D

It seems so that I have this same problem, but with file group.

Code:
-rw-r-----  1 root  wheel  2425 Sep  9 13:43 /etc/proftpd.passwd

Proftpd is running as ftp:ftp and can't access this file. Even if i chgrp ftp /etc/proftpd.passwd after anyone edit's an FTP account it gets changed back to wheel.

I'm not sure, but i think this appeared after update to v1.36.1

What OS are you running? Operating systems which use the wheel group expect that the user running proftpd be a member of the wheel group.

Jeff

Hello,
I'm not sure, but i think this appeared after update to v1.36.1
I've confirmed the issue on FreeBSD. The cause of the error was a recent fix which exposed a previous issue. I'll release 1.36.2 shortly. Note that all config file and list files are affected, but it only "matters" to those where the group read is important (which isn't too often).. the proftpd.passwd, and ftp.passwd files are two of them.

John

Back