FXP & Proftpd

S2S-Robert

Verified User
I want to (temporary) allow FXP transfers for users to directly put their backup file from one server to the other. Especially users with backups 200MB big that's a huge relief.

So what I did was I put in the <globals> section of /etc/proftpd.conf the line

Code:
AllowForeignAddress     on

I did this for both servers, reread (didn't work), restart, but still nothing. Do I need to add it in the <vhost> section as well? How will I get FXP working?

I shut down the firewalls, I put it again in both global and in the server config part, but I can't tranfser. Strange...

I'll give the virtual host a try, but I doubt if that works...

[edit]
Nope, didn't work. I tried to connect from a server that *does* allow FXP (a speed test server) and it's clearly my proftpd that somewhere doesn't allow it. I do see the file being created, but that's just it which leaves me to believe it's a passive mode thing (could be wrong here)

Last edited:
any thoughts on this one?

I could try and put it on the proftpd mailinglist, but in that case I'd like a clean DA proftpd conf file. Not everybody needs to know my configuration ;)

Hello,

I'm assuming you just need to add the following to the top section of the /etc/proftpd.conf file:
Code:
PassivePorts 49152 65534
MasqueradeAddress 1.2.3.4
where 1.2.3.4 is the server IP..

John

So if I want to provide passive ports for a more limited number of ports (why use so many?) I can just change the lower / upper variable right?

But I'll first see if this is helpfull in making it work ;)

Yes, I think you can just lower the range by changing the numbers. I'm just going on what the docs are saying, I've never done it myself.

John

Back