Dedicated Rack Space - Co Location

rszkutak

Verified User
Hi all,
I am currenlty a DA customer and have been with my hosting guys now through 3 companies, and over 10 years ! Sadly, thier extremly slow time to change thier hardware offerings on the dedicated server is forcing me to look to other companies.

My current server is running poorly, and doesn't have that much of a load on it. Also it is requiring that we reboot the server to "flush the toilet" about every 60 days or so when it really starts to crawl.

I would of course like suggestions on a dedicated location with great bandwith.

thoughts ?

Rob

This seems more like an off topic post than installation as it doesn't really have to do with DA itself. To get a good recommendation though we would need to know what you need in terms of CPU, memory, bandwidth, disk space, etc. Do you need it to be managed or are you comfortable sitting at a shell screen installing/updating software yourself and setting up firewalls and the such?

Yes you are right it is a little off topic, but i wasn't exactly shure where to put it.

MOD's; feel free to move to the right area, sorry.

Marshall,
I deal in PIX firewalls all day, routing, OSPF, Spanning Tree and so forth all day. Frankly I don't want to sit infront of a CLI much, however i will. I can do most anything that i need on a daily basis, however when LILO get's blown away ( happened once ) i had to pick up the "oh ****" phone and call an emergency support ticket in. To date ( 3.25 years ), i have had 3 support requests, and 2 of them was when i was on a tour in Iraq to take care of a customer directly for me, which they did.

My requirements are, P4d or Core Duo, Core 2 Duo. 1Gb MIN memory, DUAL 250Gb SATA II, 1Tb of bandwith ( we only use about 150 - 200 Gb month ). Most importantly UPTIME ! i don't care about "planned outages at night", but re routing something in the daytime chaps me.

We currently have around 70-80 sites hosted on our single server, and none of those are what we would classify as a "heavy hitter site".

Did this help ?

Rob

A couple places come to mind:

http://www.gigenet.com/dedicated-servers.htm
I have heard great reviews about their network and DDOS protection services, although they are managed you can probably ask them not to mess with your software if you want.

only other place I can think of that offers P4d is http://www.layeredtech.com and they are unmanaged but I have heard mixed stories about their support. Some say quick, others say slow but they are cheap and meet your criteria with the P4d.

Most other places dont seem to offer core duo or core 2 duo yet but if you dont mind xeon/woodcrest then I would also say http://www.theplanet.com as I hear they are good as well.

A good place to use to check out different hosting companies is http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2 by just doing a search within that forum with the company's name or url and seeing what comes up. You can also ask for recommendations there but be sure to include all the info you included here and also a budget level so they can make accurate recommendations (and not flame you for being vague.)

Edit - Oops sorry didn't see you meant co-location if you are looking for co-location the first idea in mind is look for a data center close to where you live, hopefully within driving distance and then look up reviews on them. Check out the uptime guarantee and SLA/TOS and ask them about their pricing for rackspace/lines. Check out their list of providers and what kind of UPS and fireproofing/security they have. Reason I say close by is so that if something happens like a hardware failure, you can replace it yourself easily enough by just driving out there instead of having to ship a new part and wait for data center employees to install it. http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44 has reviews on some data centers so you can use the search in that forum to read about them and also what kind of things you need to know about co-location.

Last edited:
so, are you looking for colocation or just renting a dedicated server? It's different

Yes you are right, dedicated and co-located are entirely different, i fully realize that.

I am simply tossing around both idea's, i don't give a hoot about hardware costs, it's negligable as far as i am concerned. I would rather see a dedicated server for the sites as opposed to my own gear, hence it's not my problem, it's someone elses's.

I am going to look into a few of those that you mentioned Marshall, I did manage to find a company that does dedicated's for a resonable price.. it's called Ace-host.net ever heard of them ? I know hosting companies are a dime a dozen, but their dedicates look good.

R

They have mixed reviews. You can search on WHT.

Looking at their dedicated servers, I just dont like Intel motherboard. And dont know about the chasis, psu... Remember using unbrand stuff is different. The only chasis name we are using is Supermicro, that's proven very stable.

And if you look around, you can see the difference between Supermicro stuff and other are hundreds dollars, that can explain for cheap price. The same thing with motherboard. And from my personal idea, Intel is not as good as other like Supermicro, Asus... about the performance

I second the motion on Supermicro :) .

I've moved the thread; it's officially Off-Topic ;) .

Jeff

Back