Change how name servers are setup.

Xuru

Verified User
I would like to make a request to change how name servers are setup, at least at the main admin level or box level.

Right now to setup the initial name servers, I have to create a a user acocunt and a user package.

It would be much easier and less messy if there was a section to just setup name servers that did not require creating a whole domain account with a login and all. Thats just one more login to manage password security for. This section could just setup the proper dns zones and server records and be done with it.

I think what you are asking for is already in the "Your Admin" under DNS Admin? I use that with all kinda of domains that are not hosted on our box w/o setting up new accounts.

Is this what you are asking for?

Ok I see what you are talking about now. But it's still confusing I think to most people, well at least me. because the instructions on the forums say to do it in the reseller panel and the way they say to have it done involves needing to setup a domain first so that it is selectable in the drop down box in the name server section

http://www.directadmin.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=130

But I get it now.

Last edited:
Hello,

You don't need to create a domain.com with the User panel and you don't need to use the "NameServers" function on the Reseller page.

Just go to:

Admin Panel -> DNS Administration -> add the dns record for the domain you want, and add whatever records you need.

John

One of the problems most of our customers have said about DirectAdmin is that the default skin is way to confusing. I know this might not solve the problem or you are already using it.

Once you use DA for a while the default skin will make some sense but we only use the Power User skin since it seems that much easier to use.

Actually I prefer the default skin to the power one :)

My main confusion came from how the instructions in the forums said to setup NS.

Nameservers setup

Hi,

I would appreciate alot if somebody from DA support would explain how to setup the main nameservers ( a kind of idiot's guide) for domains which are hosted elsewhere.

Example:

I have the domain hostingdomain.com on another server.
I already have ns1 & ns2.hostingdomain.com used on that server
I would like to setup ns3&ns4.hostingdomain.com on the new DA server.

The DNS administration page is quite confusing, so perhaps somebody can explain what should I write in the 4 boxes appearing in the DNS Administration page:

- Domain Name
- IP address
- Nameserver 1
- Nameserver 2

Thank you very much for any input.

Catalin

Assuming you have the ips for that box registered as name server from your registrant.

Here is a tutorial...
http://www.site-helper.com/dns.html

Let's say your nameservers are
ns1.hostingcompany.com
ns2.hostingcompany.com

The ip address of where the website is

The domain of the website is
www.customer.com

- Domain Name
www.customer.com
- IP address
- Nameserver 1
ns1.hostingcompany.com
- Nameserver 2
ns2.hostingcompany.com

Thanks

Thank you for the reply.

I understood how to setup a domain on the box, the thing I don't understand is if I have to create a record for ns3 & n4.hostingcompany.com on the server, apart their registration at my domain registrar.

For example, in CPanel, when you setup the server you are doing the following:

1. Setup the nameservers on the box (they are automatically assigned an IP).
2. Register the nameservers at the registrar with those IP's
3. After that, all domains created on the box are assigned the main nameservers created in the server setup.

What I would like to know is how should I setup the main nameservers for the box taking into account that the main hosting domain is on another server.

Catalin

Thank

To get ips you just need to add them. Then it will take free ip and turn them into DNS servers.

Once you have the name servers registered. You would go to the admin area and add domains as you please. The ip address would be for you main hosting server.

Back