MX Record Trouble

philmcdonnell

Verified User
Hello All,

I have added a client to DA and everything is good except I have it set to not allow the client to mess with DNS entries. So her can see his entries but not do anything with them. However there is the MX record link on the bottom of the page which allows him to add MX records this is a problem. Can this be turned off? Is this a bug?

Phil

It's certainly not a bug, it's meant to be there. You do have a good point that altering MX records is altering DNS, so perhaps the skin can be altered to check if it allows DNS changes, and the control panel itself should ofcourse disallow changing MX records if off.

I believe the skins can be build using PHP which would easily allow one to do this. :)

Oh and I would like to see a default MX value of 10. If you want to use this server as a backup server or whatever there's no way you can change the MX priority without removing the MX record first. With a default of 10 you could manually set a 0 for another server.

Hello,

The reason we added a sepearate screen for MX records is because we wanted them to able to change their MX records even if they didn't have access to their DNS records (yes, sligh overlap). I can easily set it to deny them that ability... would just need comments on what you want..

1) should users be able to modify their MX records with DNS control "off".
or
2) should users be denied access to their MX records if their DNS control is "off"

Default MX is now set to 10. Available next release.

John

DirectAdmin Support said:
2) should users be denied access to their MX records if their DNS control is "off"

This would be my preferred setting. If they have no access to DNS they should not be allowed to adjust MX records as well.

Phil

Back