Enabled/disabled features

villah

Verified User
Currently all options/features available within DA are shown on reseller/user level, even if a user doesn't have access to eg DNS management or is not allowed to create MySQL databases. This is probably for a good part skin programming, but wouldn't it be nice to only show those options the user actually has access to?

Hello,

Yes. In the not-so-distant future, we'll be adding if-then-else statements to the skins which will allow for dynamic skins using tokens. (Tokens with the setting status will be added)

John

Hello,

To DA creator - one thing that I REALLY like about our current control panel them (we use rvskin for cpanel) is that the "disabled" options all point to a configurable URL so that we can easily "upsell" to our customers.

For example, if we have disabled the mysql database icon/link, then when the user clicks this icon in their control panel it points them to a unique URL that we have set up for THAT mysql icon.

This URl is then a custom page that we show to the customer explaining our rates and prices for mysql databases, as well as how to order them, etc..

I hope that makes sense. Basically, I think that if you simply "hide" the icon from the customer.. it is doing a disservice because it is robbing the opportunity to even show the customer that this feature is available.

Perhaps you could instead give a few options to the admin for how to manage this situation:

1) Allow admin to leave "disabled" icons as showing, and specify a unique URL for each disabled icon. (So if user clicks the icon the admin can try to upsell them on the feature.)

2) Allow admin to leave "disabled" icons as showing, but point all clicks of the icon to a single "this feature is disabled" page that is specified by the admin.

3) Turn off (hide) any "disabled" icons.

I hope this suggestion is good. We OFTEN have customers who click a certain disabled link in their skin and then we make the increased sale because they want that feature enabled.

Like spam assassin, or databases, or email filtering, or password protection, or whatever...

The point is that it is such an easy way to increase revenue for our company, because we run a "high end" service and don't automatically enable every feature that is in the contorl panel.

We are investigating your direct admin panel because we've heard it is less buggy then cpanel.. but we will NOT use it if it is going to result in less revenue due to this issue.

(ie: if we can't "disable" individual icons/features and then point them to at least a single "upsell" page...)

Please let me know if you have any questions...

Thanks!

Back