Rsync between DA DA servers

martexx

Verified User
I would like to know the costs of someone
ho can setup a mirror of my server (without exim) wich is updated with rsync )or something like it)

I will then make dns changes so that if one server is down the other will be called upon.

this has to include mysql copy

Let me know what you come up with. I would like to do this as well.

IMO

I dont think there is any simple way to just rsync one directadmin server to another server, change the dns records over there we go, its off working again.

Its probably alot more complex than this.

It's more complex than you'd think.

I've just finished reading a rather long article:

Publication: Linux User and Developer
Issue: 70
Article: The show goes on
Page: 74

At the end of the article I realized there's still at least one point of failure.

Though the article isn't freely available on their website, a pdf copy of issue 70 is available. Though it does cost a bit, I consider it recommended reading.

And once you've read it, come back here :) to discuss the issue of having an exact duplicate of the server for when it goes down.

Jeff

We've been rsync'ing our servers for over a year now, twice daily - haven't encountered any issues.

So you have had to fail over and its just worked ?

I dont see how considering the server's dns entries, ip addresses etc.. are all different.

So you have had to fail over and its just worked ?

I dont see how considering the server's dns entries, ip addresses etc.. are all different.

It's basically a hot spare computer, it can be rebooted to the same IP as the failed one, OR it can be edited with a few perl -pi -e scripts to update the DNS entries in /var/named/*.db, /usr/local/directadmin/scripts/ipswap.sh , etc - it's not an out of the box solution, but it will work.

enlighten us with code .. :)

I'm very interested in how you do this exactly.

Well, I could tell you, but then I'd have to acquire/shoot/mame you. :)

Rsync is pretty easy,
From the backup server,
rsync -a -e ssh IP:/directory/to/backup /copy/of/orginal/directory

so if you were rsync'ing the mysql directories

rsync -a -e ssh IP:/var/lib/mysql/ /var/lib/mysql

the rest unfortunately, I can't share with you as it's code we developed, and I'm not interested in releasing it to the general populous at this time

After thinking about this for a while, I've decided that I'll work on releasing a set of scripts to emulate what we do, for the betterment of the community. I'll put it on my to-do list, and let everyone know when it's completed. It will take me a while, there's a number of other things on my plate right now, but I will release it.

I'll announce in the appropriate forum when it's ready

that would be cool

That would be SUPER cool,

rsyncing a directory like /usr/local/directadmin gives some problems dont you agree?

i believe that you can do an rsync of that dir if you rule out some information like ip numbers and stuff

That would be SUPER cool,
rsyncing a directory like /usr/local/directadmin gives some problems dont you agree?
i believe that you can do an rsync of that dir if you rule out some information like ip numbers and stuff

In our situation, no - we're rebuilding data to a new box that will take a new IP once it's rebooted - so IP's and config will stay exactly the same as the old box

If you dont have the luxury of a new box on standby, yes, we've got an alternate set of scripts that just copy the portable data to rebuild user data - NOT directadmin

How is this proceeding?
I'm building a redudnant system for a colocated customer as well.

2 servers, 1 as a hot spare.
But I'm not sure if I should copy all the user data, or if there is a way to copy all the directadmin content to the hotspare.

Any insights?

There is no progress at my side so far.
i have an empty vps on my hands to do the fallback but is is not configured yet.

i still dont know how to do this

I go and play with it this weekend.
I got the 2 servers linked up on a 10.0.0.* IP with crosscables, I however don't have directadmin installed yet. (the servers are at the office, not at the datacenter yet. )

what besided of the IP's will give troubles you think?

There is no progress at my side so far.
i have an empty vps on my hands to do the fallback but is is not configured yet.

i still dont know how to do this

Take a look at LVS. Quite simple to set up and works like a charm. I prefer using the localhost solution so you don't need an extra server just for the routing. Good luck!

Back