Email access problem

elcambur

Verified User
I can access my primary accounts from any mail client but my user accounts only through the webmail. They both receive emails fine but my user accounts don't send. it says that I have a relaying problem.

What could it be?

well, do you fetch your user accounts with an entire mail adress as loginname? Like [email protected]? And because you don't fetch e-mail you also can't send mail because else anyone could send e-mail. So your server is not entirly an open relay server. It first put's your ip in a list for a while when you fetch your e-mail.

user account problem

Yes I fetch my emails using [email protected] and I have no clue why this is happening.

My primary accounts work perfectly but my user accounts have this problem.

I created one test account for you or anyone that would like to take a look.

email: [email protected]
pass: test

if you try to check this email through http://www.mail2web.com you won't be able to open the mailbox at all. But if you try using http://www.2hot.org/webmail you will be able to open it and you will see that it receives email fine but when you try to send one it says

SMTP Error: Recipient not accepted. Verify your relay rules.

Where do I verify my relay rules? :confused:
Why I can not open my mailbox from elsewhere? :confused:

Thank you

Last edited:
2004-01-23 12:42:19 failed to open /etc/virtual/pophosts for linear search: No such file or directory

I created a file called

pophosts

and I added the domain 2hot.org

And it is working. It is sending email but I still can not access the account from elsewhere

Hello,

I'm wondering if you're copy of da-popb4smtp is running.

Run:
Code:
service da-popb4smtp restart
This should 1) create the pophosts file, 2) fill it with the appropriate hosts, and 3) allow you to send email from elsewhere after you get authenticated via pop.

Alternatively, you could enable smtp-authentication for you email client (Tools -> Accounts -> account -> properties -> servers -> check "My outgoing mailserver requires authentication") (Outlook Express)

John

Yes it is running.

thank you very much for your help. I already filled up the pophosts and I can send email everywhere.

But I don't have access to the account from outside of the server.

I checked the mainlog file and this is what it says when I try to access the account from outside.

2004-01-23 13:03:18 H=(mpls-relay-01.inet.qwest.net) [63.226.138.11] F=<> rejected RCPT <mail@www.elcambur.com>: authentication required

Make sure your domain is listed in /etc/virtual/domains

I had the same reject problem and Chris helped me through it. It turned out (amongst other things) my domain wasn't listed there.

That was one of the first things I checked. All my domain names are in the file including the host name.

I found the answer !!

Thank you very much to all of you for your help.

The solution was as simple as this:

the username for every pop account needs to be set in your email client as [email protected] if you don't put the domain name the email server won't be able to know where the email is going to.

username: [email protected]

Back