getting ip address from router

rumrugby

Verified User
hi,

I am really interested in getting Direct Admin however i have been reading some previous posts which are saying that your isp allocated ip address must be the same as your server ip address. my problem is that i have a router with a built in adsl modem. The router is giving out internal ip adresses to the server. The thing is that i only have on server on the 4 port router and i really do not use the LAN at all. Is there any way of disabling the LAN and DHCP completely so that the server just gets the isp allocated IP address???

Thanks,
Bye!

Hello,

That's something that you'd need to find out from your ISP or manufacturer of the router.

John

What you could do is login on the router, check to see if there's a firewall running, if so, completely shut it down and set the server to DMZ. Then forward all incoming ports to the servers' ip.

And then somehow you would need to make the server believe it's got your external IP.

Good luck, you're going to need it

Or just buy yourself an ADSL modem without a router ;)

hehehe sounds easy enough........what about if i added an ethernet connection and made it automatically try to get the external ip address through dchp?

does anyone know how i could make my server think that it is using a ip address that it isn't.

rumrugby said:
hi,

I am really interested in getting Direct Admin however i have been reading some previous posts which are saying that your isp allocated ip address must be the same as your server ip address. my problem is that i have a router with a built in adsl modem. The router is giving out internal ip adresses to the server. The thing is that i only have on server on the 4 port router and i really do not use the LAN at all. Is there any way of disabling the LAN and DHCP completely so that the server just gets the isp allocated IP address???

Thanks,
Bye!

aDSL typically is a PPPoE and most IPS's are switching to a bridge with a built-in router. If you have newer equipment you can get 16+ static ip address (I can't remember the max but it depends on the bridge you have). Because xDSL technology has changed so much in the last 6 years many configurations have changed. The aDSL of 4 years ago is nothing like it is today in technology aspect.

What you most likely will be able to do is request a static ip from your ISP. You will be able to get a server online, the problem is most ISP's won't let their customers have reverse ip delegation. This could cause all types of issues with server from time to time.

Last thought, my company allows customers to host servers on our internet products, many don't. The first 2 companies that spring to mind that allows servers are Speakeasy and Net Access Corp.

rumrugby said:
does anyone know how i could make my server think that it is using a ip address that it isn't.

I have a employee of mine that has a Cable connection and used a VPN to route a /24 block of ip address. This required 2 servers one at a location with dedicated connection. This is probably not your cup of tea...

If you use have PPPoE and DHCP on the local network. You could pay for Dynamic DNS (dyndns.org for example). They have FreeBSD / Linux client software that you can run to update the dyn dns servers to update your ip address. Assign a static DHCP ip address to your server. Just login to your bridge or router and DMZ the ip or even better foward the specific ports to your server.

(Search this forum for all ports that need to be open. Many of the firewall threads have covered this many times.)

Last edited:
No need of like here

Hi ,

Glad that someone tries to achive this , i had this configuration once .

Basicly its better of without the hardware router in this case .
Work with a computer as a gateway and a proxy or port mapping
program to route ports 80 , 443 , 3306 , 21 , 2222 etc to the
internal IP address of the acctual web server .

Thats it , all incoming requests on the metioned ports to the gateway will go to the inner server that inside the network .

One thing though , in the statistic the reffering ip will always be the gateway IP something like 192.168.1.2 .

I couldnt find a way arround it ,

Hope that helps ,

Last edited:
That is because that IS the reffering ip because you are running NAT. The gateway for most soho equipment is 10.0.x.1 or 192.168.x.1. You can't get around...

Hi

Actually it wasnt a NAT , just port mapping program ,

Lets say the gateway/proxy(the box connected to the intenet directly) configured ip is 192.168.1.2 and configured to route requests on port 80 to 192.168.1.3 so basicly the server will see it as the referrer is 192.168.1.2(the gateway that route to the web server) , i remeber i tried to go arround it but couldnt find a way .

Id like to hear one if there is a way around this(port mapping and reffring logs) .

Regards ,

Hold on you lost me...:D

The box connected to the internet is NOT a router? So how do your internal machines get ip address? Tell me if it is different than below:

Code:
Public ip address:
       |
       |
   Router
       |
    /     \
   |       |
  x.2    x.3

Because if it is like above you will always get 192.168.1.1 in your logs. The only way around it is if you are routing a public address.

Ok then YOUR setup a router with NAT and probably DHCP. The gateway is 192.168.1.1 and at this point it converts public requests to its virtual ip address. The only way NAT works is it checks and tags each packed with its own header. Basically each packet gets:

From DHCP server
|go to 192.168.1.2|

To DHCP server
|from 192.168.1.2|

What happens is to make this public to private system to work you have to pass each packet though the NAT server's address, in your case 192.168.1.1. Because most software is not intelligent enought to strip the information from the packet that contains the public address information you see 192.168.1.1 in your log file from your NAT server.

Their are ways of getting the public address but that would take more processing and overhead to do when only a handfull of people do this compaired to how it was intended to be done with public ip's.

Last edited:
Back