Portsentry with DA

prophecy

Verified User
Can a portsentry install be part of the DA install? I think that would be very good for everybody.

I don't think it should not be!

Here is a thread on Firewalls. I haven't read them in detail yet but I assume the same arguments will apply.

Intergrated Firewalls

For larger ISP they have hardware to do this all for them and it would be redundant and a waste of valuable processing time. Not to mention that Firewalls are not compatible with FreeBSD and other *nix OS DA will be ported to. Everyone needs to keep in mind that DA is not just for RH based Linux :cool:

Portsentry is very easy to install and takes only a few minutes.... as much as its useful software in my opinion it should *not* be included with DA - not everyone wants it, some may be using ports that stops etc (causing confusion especially with users who don't know it).. where as if the user installs portsentry they should know what it does how it works and how to chnage things around themselves

Leave additional unrequired security such as firewalls portsentry etc etc for the users who know how to use them - playing with ports is a bad idea and should be done by the sysadmin ONLY

Chris

Yea that would be very bad idea especially since other people have other software firewalls, script firewalls along, routers and so fourth.

Back