[email protected] can't recieve mail, but [email protected] can ?!

joris

[email protected] can't recieve mail, but [email protected] can ?!

I've searched here but can't seem to find a solution.
Problem is:
I've created some domains with DA but I can't recieve any owner mails... For other users on those domains I can.

also in the "Pop Accounts" menu the login for the owner is just "owner" and for a user it is user@domain??

I tried owner and owner@domain but they don't show any mail.

Last edited:
hmm well my servername is da.kakatoo.com ... and not kakatoo.com or should it be server.kakatoo.com?

J!

Last edited:
Hello,

da.kakatoo.com should be fine as long as there are no domains on the server with that name (kakatoo.com is fine, but da.kakatoo.com isn't). Also, make sure that it resolves.. it doesn't currently resolve for me, so you need to add an A record for da.kakatoo.com.

If that's all fine, remember that the "owner" email login is just "username" .. and not "[email protected]" ... "[email protected]" is reserved for virtual pop accounts.

John

I have a reseller account I created that does not get email. But the account under the resellers domain do receive email fine. What did I do wrong?

Phil

Hello,

Go back to the top of this thread and start over :)

You probably have a hostname set that matches the domain that exists in DA. Set the hostname to a non-domain, ie server.domain.coin instead of domain.com. That way you can host domain.com through DA and receive email too.

John

DirectAdmin Support said:
Hello,

Go back to the top of this thread and start over :)

You probably have a hostname set that matches the domain that exists in DA. Set the hostname to a non-domain, ie server.domain.coin instead of domain.com. That way you can host domain.com through DA and receive email too.

John

No this is a weird problem... I have my server setup like this...

The main domain (server.domain.com) is the hostname... I also have the (domain.com) as a domain hosted.

Now I setup a reseller account - domain2.com with a username of john the default email is supposed to be [email protected] correct?

Well I don't receive any email at that address... This domain has nothing to do with the server or hostname.

I changed the reseller to login as a dummy name and setup a pop account for his real name ([email protected]) this works fine, but why doesn't the default (master-reseller) name receive email. I can login to the webmail with the name but nothing gets received.

Thanks,
Phil

Hello,

Note that a system account gets forwarded from the domain:

[email protected] -> [email protected]

This is why the hostname cannot exist. All I can think of, is make sure that server.domain.com hasn't been added anywhere in DA (except the hostname field in the admin settings).

Failing that, just check /var/log/exim/mainlog to see where it's going.

John

ive got a question about this...

i can call server hostname like server.domain.com and have domain.com in directadmin? i can also create a subdomain called server that will be server.domain.com?

thanks

ive tryed to delete server.domain.com from admin domain list (/server hostname is server.domain.com) but nothing changed, user@domain always get "unrouteable address" error.

Any idea?

Thanks

"Unrouteable address" means either the domain doesn't resolve, or else the daily limit has been reached, thus lookups fail.

To test the dns, type:
Code:
dig MX domain.com
The dns servers used are specified in your /etc/hosts file. You can change them to 127.0.0.1 if you want to use your own nameserver.

If it's the daily limit being reached, then /etc/virtual/limit will have a non-zero value.. and the /etc/virtual/usage/usernmae will be the size in bytes of the number in the limit file. So for example, if you have a 200 email limit, that file would be greater or equal to 200 bytes (size is how we track usage)

John

my hosts file is

127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
ServerIP server.domain.com

so i think that is correct, but, i didnt understand what ive to do with "dig MX domain.com" if create a mx record called dig or if dig is a line command, cause, in shell he say that is not a command...

thanks for ur support

Dig is a linux/unix command. If it's not installed on your server you should install it; it's an important diagnostic tool. If you're not logged in as root your installation may not be able to find it. To find it try:
Code:
 $ whereis dig
and then run it with the complete path.

Jeff

The dns servers used are specified in your /etc/hosts file. You can change them to 127.0.0.1 if you want to use your own nameserver.
That's a rather simplistic answer these days, John.

If your local nameserver is also used as a caching nameserver then most DNS checking routines (including the ones used by companies verifying your eCommerce solution) will report that your DNS is exploitable. We've been recommending turning of caching in your local nameserver for over a year now, with this line:
Code:
recursion no;
as the bottom line of the options section of your named.conf file.

In fact, with this line in place your server isn't vulnerable to that now famous caching exploit lots of folk are writing about, simply because it isn't caching.

We recommend using either your upstream's nameservers, or if for some reason they don't work for you (they may not have been patched and may be vulernable) then that you use OpenDNS. If you use OpenDNS you do need to create an account, and add your server main IP#(s), and turn off their proxying, so their DNS will work properly in a server environment.

Jeff

>whereis dig
dig:
[16:46:27] root [/]
>apt-get install dig
Lettura della lista dei pacchetti in corso... Fatto
Generazione dell'albero delle dipendenze in corso... Fatto
E: Impossibile trovare dig

dig is not installed and with apt-get say that cannot found dig :)

Is debian 4.0, how can i install it?

thanks again for your patience

Googling apt-get dig found me this.

It should be in the dnsutils package. If it's not let's hope someone else responds; I don't use debian.

Jeff

fantastic,

for who need it too is easy to install, just apt-get install dnsutils

now, dig say this:

>dig MX crazynetwork.it

; <<>> DiG 9.3.4-P1.1 <<>> MX crazynetwork.it
;; global options: printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 58014
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 2, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;crazynetwork.it. IN MX

;; ANSWER SECTION:
crazynetwork.it. 7200 IN MX 10 mail.crazynetwork.it.

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
crazynetwork.it. 7200 IN NS ns1.crazynetwork.it.
crazynetwork.it. 7200 IN NS ns2.crazynetwork.it.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
mail.crazynetwork.it. 7200 IN A 194.177.98.220

;; Query time: 8 msec
;; SERVER: 213.92.5.54#53(213.92.5.54)
;; WHEN: Tue Nov 11 20:27:27 2008
;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 106

is that correctly set?

Is your server IP# 194.177.98.220? If so, then your mx record is pointing to your server.

Jeff

Back