Cgi Help ... Pleeeeeeeeeease!!!

maxrpg

Verified User
hi guys this is my first time here and i realy need your help!!!

i have an account with hostlogical.com and i cant for the life of me install CGI scripts onto it....i have uploaded them to my site and configured them properly i know i have (i follow the instructions perfectly anyway). whenever the server tries to access a .CGI file i get you do not have permission to access this file ect blah blah!

if you need to know exactly wat i meen please go here... http://www.gothic-bliss.co.uk and click on the 'M' at the foot of the page. you will be taken to a form but once you click register thats when the error comes up and i cant figure it out...ive spent days configuring and reconfiguring it but it still wont work!! ...PLEASE HELP ME!!

before i pull out my hair :'(

You need to put perl scripts into your cgi bin....

instaed of

/public_html/pm/

use
/public_html/cgi-bin/

Chris

hi i tried putting the .cgi file into the cgi-bin but it still will not work...i even tried placing all the files into the cgi-bin but still it doesnt work and i get various messages like this one...

Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
Please contact the server administrator, [email protected] and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apache/1.3.29 Server at www.gothic-bliss.co.uk Port 80

i have tried 3 scripts over the past few days and none have worked...my host does support ALL scripts...why wont they run...please help me i realy want this to work?!?

Did you set the permissions (chmod) after placing the files in the cgi-bin?

Chris

i set the permissions exactly to the letter as instructions said on all of them i even tried chaging some of the permissions but i still get nothing :( !
im new to CGI but i know how to chmod and upload in ASCII n everything and i know i did it correctly!

ok...

1) Do you have CGI enabled for your account
2) Do you have all the perl modules required for the script

Chris

i believe so yes! if you would like to check please go here http://www.hostlogical.com it has all the features of my account listed on the main page as soon as you enter. when i first got my account it had a cgi-bin init so im asuming its enabled...it better be lol

how would i enable it if its not enabled?!? :S

You would need to contact your host.... Without higher privileges its difficult to know whats causing the problem.... you're probably just better contacting them and asking them to check... if they have any problems with it they are free to post on the forums with further information that will help us help you / them :)

Chris

Hello,

I had a look, and your cgi-bin directory was chmod 777. Suexec doesn't like that a whole lot, as it's a huge security risk. (basically allowing other people to edit and run your scripts as yourself.)

I've set it back to 755, so give it a try now :)

John

I checked it a while ago and the CGI files were fine, however .html files in the cgi-bin were failing which i guess is normal for the cgi-bin ;)

Chris

thanx alot for all your help :)!

lol im still not getting anywere though....i dont understand it...i know my host suports them and i know im setting them up correctly but they are just not working! ..seems to be just the .cgi file that it wont let me access cos the htmls work ok :\...weird!!

thanks alot :)!

Which paths are you using for your scripts? I saw a few copies and an not sure which you are referring to.. so, if you could let me know which one isn't working (which file), I could then go have another look.

John

Hello,
I had a similar problem.. turned out that I had apache running as nobody instead of apache and suexec didn't like that... try checking /var/log/httpd/suexec.log

Back