users e-mail doing strange stuff

rszkutak

Verified User
Howdy, i have had e-mail accounts doing really strange things over the past couple weeks.

Previously i was on DA 1.205 and just upgraded to 1.207.

My users e-mail accounts are changing permissions randomly, their is nothing typical how or why this happens, it just does. Here is the permissions what i am getting.

CHANGED BY THE SERVER
“-rw------- 1 mail root 7236715 Jan 25 22:42 tom”

CHANGED BACK TO ORIGIONAL STATE BY ME
“-rw-rw---- 1 wh04truc mail 7236715 Jan 25 23:02 tom”

As you can see hte permissions are wrong, the group is wrong, adn the user account is also wrong... all this happens in one sweep.

This has happened on several occasions, I don't have a lot of customers on my server yet ( around 20 at this point ), but am moving people there quickly.

Initially I thought it was something very remote cause my user that reported it was very un-technically savvy, but every 7-10 days I get a call saying "they cannot access e-mail", adding " i just sent an e-mail to themselves and they cannot recieve it. Then 24 hours later they get a "i am still tryinig to deliver" e-mail from the server... it's really odd.

I know this should not happen, anyone got any good reasons why this is happending ?

-rob

Hmm..

That is odd. I havn't heard of this happening before, which leads me to believe there is a cron script somewhere doing it.. Check your /etc/cron* (both files and directories) .. perhaps there is something in there with a clue. Is there a circumstance that's doing it? are they doing anything at the time the change happens?

John

John,
Yea I am as dumbfounded as you are. I know their are no cron jobs going, especially on the domains that have been effected so far. The end users are really pretty non-savvy.

For 2 of the 3 instances, i don't know the details of what the user was / wasn't doing. However one instance i know the client had Outlook opened with an IMAP account for his e-mail while he was reading the online news in the morning. The server stopped responding and crashed out his machine. After that is when the problem occured. He also lost all network connection on his local machine as well, Windows XP just did some really screwy stuff, that even baffles me !

I thought i would post on this to see if anyone has had it before or whatever. It might be a very isolated issue that i will just have to work with, and eventually it might get corrected in DA if it is DA by some other bug fix...

I will look into this further when i can over the next couple days, time is tight for me as we are moving our whole operation over to IRAQ next week on wednesday.

-Rob

Hmm.. Well DA doesn't really touch the email files themselves.. only exim, vm-pop3d and imapd do. DA does do a stat on them to get the filesize, but that shouldn't change the permissions. I'm leaning to imapd as being the culpret.. but.. hopefully the list of programs will help you narrow it down.

John

Back