Request option to enable frontpage by default

toml

Verified User
I have a reseller that is moving a bunch of domains to my server and he uses Frontpage. It would have been nice to have an option to have FrontPage enabled by default when he created each of his domains. I know it isn't that hard to enable it on each domain after they are created, but when doing 20 or 30 at a time, this would be a real time saver.

Thanks,

Tom

I will be the first to go against this, frontpage can cause problems with FTP (its best to use *either* ftp OR fp) I would assume FTP is far more widely used than FP and would therefore leave it better to keep FP off as default...

Chris

I didn't mean to have it enabled by default, only as an option. I personally don't like it either, but for those people like a reseller of mine, it would have been nice to click a check box when creating the domain to install Frontpage with the domain. Or have it enabled by default for a package you create. Either one would save a lot of time for resellers like this.

I suspect ignorant resellers click the option 'just to be sure' it's included and create problems that way.

It's perfectly fine for my needs the way it is.

I am also against that feature because that should be the users choice to have it installed not the resellers

It is no different than the checkbox to ssh for a user. I wouldn't give ssh to most of my users. They really wouldn't have a need for it, and for security reasons they can live without it.

This was was only a request to allow FrontPage to be installed during account creation. It is a pain in the neck to have to create the account, login to the account click on enable frontpage enter the same password. And do that over and over when you need it on multiple accounts.

I have the case here where a Reseller Manages all his accounts (20-30), the end users never even touch their web sites, so it would have been a nice feature to have in that instance. For the default account creation, I would not enable this feature. It is not like I am asking to ALWAYS enable FrontPage, I would be against that as well. Just an option to create it when the account is created.

No there is a big difference, Frontpage installs something and ssh just gives them shell access to your server. Also ssh will not be un secure on your server soon, probably a couple of months or so but it is in devolpment. Tell me something would you lke to buy a package from a hosting company and see they installed something on your account you did not want installed? I know i would not because it is a waste of space and most people do not use it.

You are completly missing the point. I NEVER said the reseller HAS to install FrontPage. It would be a time saver for the cases like I mentioned. 95% of the time or more this would never get used. But it would really make it easier for that other 5%.

I see your point and since the percentage is so low you can always just log in to those users account and install it for them if you feel that can't figure that out :). I would personally never use that option just like i would not use the ssh option in tell they add the jailed feature.

Last edited:
Back