Exim didn't get installed.

Manie

Verified User
Hi all,

I know DirectAdmin wasn't suited for debian 4.0.
But did it before, and it worked, so wanted to do it again :D

I finish the setup, and found out that exim was stoppen.
Simple reason:

Cannot find the script

Details
/etc/init.d/exim

Now it isn't actually installed on the server.
1. How can this happen on a clean box during a fresh install?

2. Where can I find logs containing the entire installing procedure?

Cause the directadmin install.log is missing a great bunch of what was outputted on screen.

3. can I install exim using custombuild now?:confused:

Thanks all!

Hello,

1) The exim package may not be compatible, I'm not sure (not tested on etch yet).
Try:
Code:
cd /usr/local/directadmin/scripts
./exim.sh
and see what happens.

2) The DA logs are in /var/log/directadmin/install.log but don't contain script output, on the DA binary install logs.

3) No, but this should work: http://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=125

John

Gonna try to compile it from scratch then :)
Strange thing is, I installed directadmin last time, changed 4.0 into 3.1 in debian_version document, and worked like a charm!

dpkg: error processing da_exim-4.63.deb (--install):
cannot access archive: No such file or directory
Errors were encountered while processing:
da_exim-4.63.deb
*** exim not installed: aborting. ***

and my second debian server, same problem, changed the exim .deb file to 4.67 (why is it 4.63 anyway on a fresh install?) and works great now :)

Directadmin > Debian!

:-D

Thanks for the info. I was scratching my head for a while, because the files.sh is downloaded from:
http://files.directadmin.com/services/debian_3.1/files.sh
at install time, and it does show the correct version.

Eventually, I narrowed down the problem to the fact that our current debian build system is "new", so it started off with a usual debian install, then we convert that install to create new update.tar.gz files. The files.sh that was used at the time of it's creation was still living in the scripts directory on the build system, which means.. the "live" files.sh gets overwritten when the update.tar.gz was extracted, thus leaving us with the old one.

I've yanked out the files.sh from the update.tar.gz that is downloaded with new installs, so now you'll get the correct version in the update.tar.gz.

It was all triggered by:
- the files.sh being in the update.tar.gz when it shouldn't have been.
- the fact that I had updated the services_debian31.tar.gz to have the newest exim, which no longer matched the old files.sh file.

John

Back