SpamBlocker2.1 available now

nobaloney

NoBaloney Internet Svcs - In Memoriam †
I've just released SpamBlocker2.1.

Currently it can only be found on my website at:

http://www.nobaloney.net/downloads/spamblocker/DirectAdminSpamBlocker2/

This is NOT just a plugin replacement, but to save you the effort of reading the new ReadMe file, I'll explain the changes here:

We've removed a lot of blocklists and included the blocklists I'm now testing with good results. While these may or may not be the same blocklists we use in SpamBlocker3, they are the blocklists I'm currently using with good result (see my Current Test Results).

And of course when you download the new file it will include instances of example.com in a lot of places; before making this your working exim.conf file be sure to replace them with a link to your own spamblock explanation page so users with occasional false positives will get a meaningful error message.

If you're using SpamBlocker2 we recommend installing SpamBlocker2.1 immediately.

Jeff

Thanks!!! I just wonder... what file to use? Blocked or Blocker?

Thanks again

Jose

Edit:

I updated using SpamBlocker.exim.conf.2.1-release and did a line by line compare for differences. Restarted and it seems to be working great. A nice idea would be to include ClamAV options (commented as spamassassin) so it would be easier to update (just my thought) Thanks for the update, I will report on spam levels (although I don't get much)

Last edited:
I've just released SpamBlocker2.1.

And of course when you download the new file it will include instances of example.com in a lot of places; before making this your working exim.conf file be sure to replace them with a link to your own spamblock explanation page so users with occasional false positives will get a meaningful error message.
Jeff

I'd appreciate a link to a working spamblock explanation page....figure most folks will have worded it better than I can.

thanks

I'd appreciate a link to a working spamblock explanation page....figure most folks will have worded it better than I can.

thanks

Great idea... I just link it to a generic "this mail might be spam" kind of page without many details...

Thanks!!! I just wonder... what file to use? Blocked or Blocker?
They're both links to the same file. Back in the old days we've called it both. Starting with SpamBlocker3 the problem no longer exists ;) .
I updated using SpamBlocker.exim.conf.2.1-release and did a line by line compare for differences.
Did you change the references to example.com so any senders getting a false positive (there are few, but it can and sometimes does, happen) will get a meaningful error message?
Restarted and it seems to be working great. A nice idea would be to include ClamAV options (commented as spamassassin) so it would be easier to update (just my thought)
I can't. Because these forums include at least three different methods for using ClamAV. All we can distribute is the vanilla file. Changes are up to you.

This too will change with SpamBlocker3, but only because we support by default only one of those installs, and a totally new way of calling it, that doesn't require MailScanner.
Thanks for the update, I will report on spam levels (although I don't get much)
Great.

And now the bad news; we'll be issuing 2.1.1 so our version matches the DA version. It will require the latest exim.pl be installed, and both the latest exim.pl and the SpamBlocker exim.conf will be available on our site and on the official DA site.

An announcement will be made as soon as everything's available.

Jeff

You can use almost everything on my page, here.

Here's what you can't use: You cannot send people to my address to get whitelisted; our system checks to make sure the destination domain is hosted on our servers and if it isn't we send back a note telling them we can't unblock them because we didn't block them in the first place.

And you can't use those two spinning graphics at the top of the page; we don't own them so we can't give you rights to them.

Jeff

Great idea... I just link it to a generic "this mail might be spam" kind of page without many details...
I've discussed this with DirectAdmin staff, and at some point in the future we'd like to include something that creates a page on your server at installation time, based on the servername, and automatically customizes your exim.conf file.

It could happen some day ;) .

Jeff

new version coming ... hold off a day if you want

We'll be issuing 2.1.1 as soon as possible so our version matches the DA version. It will require the latest exim.pl be installed, and both the latest exim.pl and the SpamBlocker exim.conf will be available on our site and on the official DA site.

We'll be issuing 2.1.1 as soon as possible so our version matches the DA version. It will require the latest exim.pl be installed, and both the latest exim.pl and the SpamBlocker exim.conf will be available on our site and on the official DA site.

Excellent, if possible please inform of which lines to change (or something) so it's quicker for the people that have installed 2.1. If it's too much trouble I will do a line per line compare.

Thanks!

Jose

Sure. From a shell prompt:
Code:
head -3 /etc/exim.conf
If you're running SpamBlocker2 the exact version will be shown.

Jeff

Sure, any properly configured DA system.

DirectAdmin has included SpamBlocker for years. Two or three at least.

Jeff

Sure, any properly configured DA system.

DirectAdmin has included SpamBlocker for years. Two or three at least.

Jeff

OK.. SO I guess somebody forgot to activate mine... :(

Where do I find it in the admin panel or how do I activate it so Admin can make use of this feature...

I shoulda been a dentist... :(

OK.. SO I guess somebody forgot to activate mine...

That would be you.

Where do I find it in the admin panel or how do I activate it so Admin can make use of this feature...

Its not. You have to use SSH and make use of the /etc/virtual/use_rbl_domains file.

There is plenty of explanations on this forum on how to use it.

Basically all you have to do is copy all the domains that you want to use spamblocker to /etc/virtual/use_rbl_domains. Or you could either create a symlink from /etc/virtual/use_rbl_domains to /etc/virtual/domains or change the line in exim.conf from /etc/virtual/use_rbl_domains to /etc/virtual/domains

Change the example.com lines in exim.conf to form whatever message you want sent back to the sending server.

If you want it to be in the DA admin section then get your programmers to write a plugin for it.

Just a reminder that there are two commercial plugins for it. They're not expensive. I have no idea if either is still supported; I have no idea if either works with newer versions of SpamBlocker.

Jeff

The latest exim.conf file (that is in DirectAdmin servers):
2007-06-02 04:20:27 failed to expand condition "${perl{save_virtual_user}}" for virtual_user router: Undefined subroutine &main::save_virtual_user called.

Edit: exim.pl file was old, without "save_virtual_user"

Last edited:
Let's try this again...

Where do I find this SpamBlocker feature in the admin panel and how do I activate it sol one can make use of this feature...

Back