Major Bug in Exim 4.64, 4.65 and 4.66 - Don't Use

nobaloney

NoBaloney Internet Svcs - In Memoriam †
Exim has reported a major bug in Exim 4.64, 4.65, and 4.66. If you're currently using any of these exim distributions you should immediately update to Exim 4.67, which is currently available from DirectAdmin as a source RPM, or use the workaround shown in the bug report.
address_retry_include_sender bug, introduced in 4.64 and fixed in 4.67

PH/19 Change 4.64/PH/36 introduced a bug: when address_retry_include_sender was true (the default) a successful delivery failed to delete the retry item, thus causing premature timeout of the address. The bug is now fixed.
What this means is that all greylisting servers to whom you SEND mail will force a permanent error at your server rather than a delay. This does NOT affect nolisting, only greylisting. Hopefully there will be packages available from DirectAdmin soon.

For the official Exim bug report, and the workaround, look here.

Unofficially,

Jeff

Zing!!!

I have been seeking an answer for this darn issue for MONTHS now with no luck from anyone out there. I have had a gazillion "retry timeout exceeded" notices sent back to me for no reason whatsoever. It was completely random and there was rarely a legit reason, as it would work perfectly after a few tries. And to think every time I complained about this bug, I was told it was "non-existent" and an obvious configuration error. What. Ever.

Thanks Jeff for the good news from Exim. ;)

Back