mail with .EXE attchmnt rejected silently. How to bounce it?

Webcart

Verified User
Hello,

I just tried to send myself e-mail with .EXE attachment.
The e-mail wasn't delivered to the mailbox which is fine, but the sender wasn't notified.

I checked 'filters' section, but didn't find there a way to reject file attachments based on extension.

Please advise.

What combination of software are you using?

exim
exim + spamassassin
mailscanner / ? / ?
? ? ?

Chris

ProWebUK said:
What combination of software are you using?

exim
exim + spamassassin
mailscanner / ? / ?
? ? ?

Chris

The default install for FreeBSD 4.9.

I was looking at exim's config you can do it within the exim config but I am not 100% of the syntax. Possibly someone with my exim experience can help!

Hello,

The /etc/system_filter.exim file would be the culpret for filtering exe files. You can either change the filter settings (requires filter knowledge), or you can just disable the system_filter by editing the /etc/exim.conf and commenting out the "system_filter =" line with the # character.

John

DirectAdmin Support said:
Hello,

The /etc/system_filter.exim file would be the culpret for filtering exe files. You can either change the filter settings (requires filter knowledge), or you can just disable the system_filter by editing the /etc/exim.conf and commenting out the "system_filter =" line with the # character.

John

I don't want to disable filters altogether, all I want is to have sender notified that the the mail was rejected rather than silently discard it.

Reading the forum, I get impression that this is default behaviour for others, I wonder if it doesn't work that way for me because I am running FreeBSD :)

Hello,

It *should* send out an error message. I know that with my ISP they just drop exe attachments before it even gets any further..

If the filter catches something, it then runs:
Code:
  if $return_path is ""
  then
    seen finish
  endif
  fail text "This message has been rejected because it has\n\
             potentially executable content\n\
             \t$1\n\
             This form of attachment has been used by\n\
             recent viruses or other malware.\n\
             If you meant to send this file then please\n\
             package it up as a zip file and resend it."
  seen finish
... so it checks to make sure there is someone to send to, then it sends the message. Just check your /var/log/exim/mainlog to see whats going on.

John

John

Back