mysql5 upgrade

oskarlie

Verified User
anyone tried to upgrade to mysql5x on debian 3.1 and can give some input on points of failure or success?

pretty new installation with use of oldstable repos.

I wish someone put together some little HOWTOs for DEBIAN with DA, how to do certain stuff... :) :D

I could try to do it but need some Data :)

true that, could use som more debian stuff.
most things seem to be pointed towards redhat-based distros.

i am trying to do this now...but everytime i restart mysql it comes up with the old version again. i did change the /usr/local/mysql symlink to point to the new directory...the binaries seem to run fine if executed by hand...mysql --version still reports 4.1.0 though.

this is a debian woody system, with directadmin installed. im a bit confused. i see what im supposed to be doing here, but dont understand why it refuses to work.

im rebooting the server now just to see what happens...

*shrug*

ok so, i got it running mysql 5.0.41...and now my web sites do not work anymore. mod_php4 needs to be rebuilt i suppose ... so i did:

./build php

and let it ride...when i restarted httpd, the sites still dont work? help!

UPDATE
i just noticed mysqld_safe was running and slaughtered its process...restarted mysqld (safe for some reason) via /etc/init.d/mysqld start and all my sites started working.

should this be using mysqld_safe?

Last edited:
only tested with test machine, not sure if tables and data correct: (upgrade from 4.1 to 5.0)

cd /usr/local
wget http://downloads.mysql.com/archives/mysql-5.0/mysql-5.0.45-linux-i686.tar.gz
tar xvzf mysql-5.0.45-linux-i686.tar.gz
/etc/init.d/mysqld stop
rm -f mysql
ln -s mysql-5.0.45-linux-i686 mysql
cd mysql
rm -rf data
ln -s /home/mysql ./data
/etc/init.d/mysqld start

Also need recompile php to get new mysql-client for php

and then need fix tables:

so need mysql root password when installed DA

/usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqlcheck --check-upgrade --all-databases --auto-repair -p
cat /usr/local/mysql/share/mysql_fix_privilege_tables.sql | /usr/local/mysql/bin/mysql --no-defaults --force --user=root --host=localhost --database=mysql -p

Back