a bunch of email related problems

netswitch

Verified User
hello,

I am running DA under rh9.

I have installed MailScanner following the howto provided on this site and I have a few problems :
-some users still seem to recieve infected mails, with diverse kind of worms.

-the header sometimes contains this line :
X-behostings.be-MailScanner: Found to be clean, Found to be clean, Found to be clean

where I wonder why I get three times the found to be clean.
and why do I sometimes only get the foud to be clean only one time

-I have a user that gets a lot of bounces from diverse mailscanners telling him that he is infected. how can I get the system to drop those mails ?

-sending an xls file as attachment to a mailing lists seems to send the mail into a blackhole

-SOLVED : in the logs I get a lot of frozen messages, what does it means, can I safely erase them

-SOLVED : I also have a lot of mails to postmaster, apache, .. @thenameofmymachine how can I change this to a real address

-If I run MailScanner, does it handles spam ? Or do I have to run spamassassin separately ?
Is it better to use rbls or spamassassin ?

Voilà, I know there is a lot of things here but I cannot solve them...

Last edited:
Hello,

Although I'm not farmiliar with Mailscanner myself, I can say that some extensions will be dropped due to the /etc/system_filter.exim file. This can be commented out by editing the /etc/exim.conf and putting a # in front of the system_filter line.

Frozen messages means that there was a problem while sending the message and will try again later. You can force the message to be sent now by runnin "exim -M <message-ID>". Then view /var/log/exim/mainlog to see if it failed again... if it did, the reason should be shown.

The only way to get the apache email is to add an alias to /etc/aliases for apache/postmaster and forward them to a real account.

John

netswitch said:
I also have a lot of mails to postmaster, apache, .. @thenameofmymachine how can I change this to a real address

pico -w /etc/mail/aliases

Code:
postmaster:         [email][email protected][/email]
apache:             [email][email protected][/email]

Use Tab button to get spaces between the : and the email ;)

Also, you will need spamassassin for spam and clam (or other software) for viruses.

Chris

Thanks for this, the probleme of the mails to apache and postmaster are solved ;-)

For the blocking of .xls files, it only happens when attached to a mailing lists, if it is a single email, itis ok, so I guess modifiying the system_filter.exim won'(t change anything. (and I have aldready checked this file and didn't foudn the xls extention in it. I ll chek again.)

Back