Nameserver Query

Brian

Verified User
OK i've just had DA installed today and i need to move my domain connecthosting.com onto the new machine. My registrar only allows name based only so i can't just put in the ip address of the server.

Basicly i want to be able to setup
ns1.connecthosting.com
ns2.connecthosting.com
Then add that to my domains nameservers but i don't know how to get it to resolve plus i only have 1 ip, hope this makes sense :)

i've had a play but am a tad lost, all help is appriciated

I don't know if it's possible to run everything on 1 server using 1 ip address. I guess not, because DNS requires 2 ip adresses (even if they are located on the same server).

Yer that's what i was thinking, ok if i set mine up as ns1 how do i go about getting ns2 setup on another server? is there anyone who provides this service?

Old server

ns3.connecthosting.com A 1.1.1.1
ns4.connecthosting.com A 2.2.2.2

New Server (just setup the site and DNS records):

ns3.connecthosting.com A 1.1.1.1
ns4.connecthosting.com A 2.2.2.2

connecthosting.com NS 1.1.1.1
connecthosting.com NS 2.2.2.2

At your registar register the nameservers ns3/4 then just switch to them....

you could use ns1 and ns2 although if you have other sites using them they will transfer aswell (if you want that.... its ok, else use ns3/4 or any not being used)

Chris

I'm ditching my old server so it will no longer be able to be a namerserver.

just register the nameservers at your registar and update the domain... should work fine

Chris

My registrar doesn't allow creation of nameservers :rolleyes: anyone know of a provider who does?

ukreg (for tld's)
123-reg.co.uk (for uk domains)
namecheap i'm fairly sure allow it also aswell as a few others.

Chris

So does 123 reg actually allow to Create nameservers? cause my current registrar doesn't allowing creation but only changing to existing one.

Back