can't send mail from website

seanst

Verified User
I cannot seem to get the welcome letter sent out upon account creation. I have checked to see if the hostname was created and it exists.

Does anyone know what would be causing this, thanks

And yes I have checked the option to send out welcome letters upon all account creations.

Last edited:
Hello,

But does the hostname resolve?
Failing that, any mail that isn't being sent will always be logged in /var/log/exim/mainlog, error or not.

John

I changed the domain

I changed the domain from a name based to an ip based and now it doesn't resolve at all. I get this message. So once I figure this out, I can answer your question.

This IP is being shared among many domains.
To view the domain you are looking for, simply enter the domain name in the location bar of your web browser.

Thanks,

I will look at the file.

Hello,

Yes, that's normal when you change your IP. Apache uses the new settings instantly, but your ISP's dns server will take a few hours to propogate the new IP, so apache won't find your domain on the old IP, thus you get that page.

Also, the "hostname" refers to the server's hostname, not your domain. You can see what the hostname is by telnetting to port 25:
Code:
telnet domain.com 25
220 [b]server.domain.com[/b] ESMTP Exim 4.24 Thu, 05 Feb 2004 11:44:01 -0700
John

Hostname

John,

When I find out the hostname do I have to add an A record the domain that I want to use to send out welcome letters from.

Am I correct in this.

Thanks for your help.

Sean

Hello,

The email addres / domain itself doesn't really matter as much for outgoing mail. Generally only the hostname of the sending server is checked by the receiving server, so you have to make sure it resolves. For a clarification the domain.com bit in server.domain.com doesn't have to match your domain. IE: hostname is usually, server.hostingcompany.com and the end user run userdomain.com. So you have to add the A record for "server" to hostingcompany.com.

John

Okay

Now I get it.

I didn't realize it was missing from the main host file.

I added it and now I am going to see if I can send anything out.

S

Back