named error in logs

bjseiler

Verified User
I saw a similar post in the General section and I was wondering if this was a freebsd 5 specific DA error or just a general DA issue.

Feb 6 10:04:00 www6 named[33060]: reloading nameserver
Feb 6 10:04:00 www6 named[33060]: db_load could not open: localhost.rev: No such file or directory
Feb 6 10:04:00 www6 named[33060]: db_load could not open: localhost-v6.rev: No such file or directory
Feb 6 10:04:00 www6 named[33060]: db_load could not open: localhost-v6.rev: No such file or directory
Feb 6 10:04:00 www6 named[33060]: Ready to answer queries.

Hello,

check your /etc/namedb/named.conf for some lines that are loading that file. Then checkout if that file actually exists and either remove the lines or create the file. Files with that name arn't created by DA, so it would most likely have been there from before the install.

John

I installed Bind9 from the ports tree before installing DA. Was that the problem? Should I have installed Bind8?

I have tinydns servers handling my DNS and I don't know a thing about Bind....

Hello,

I don't think it's anything to do with the version installed.. it's just some config settings in the named.conf file. Just have a look to see if you can find the filenames localhost.rev, localhost-v6.rev, localhost-v6.rev in the /etc/namedb/named.conf file.

John

They were in /var/log/messages

I did as instructed and the error messages stopped. Just curious why the same error has not happened to everyone else if I started with a base system like everyone else did. Oh well, fixed now.

Actually those files shouldn't be edited out of the named.conf

Instead, run the script /etc/namedb/make-localhost and it will creat the files for you as long as the hostname is properly setup on the box.

I think the DA setup skips that step when it installs named, maybe it should run it. I'm not sure what exactly Named uses those exact files for but it definitally seems to want them in the default config so it probably needs them.

As long as we are on the subject of named...

I noticed that in /etc/rc.conf DA does not put the line named_enable="YES" which in the named.conf it says is necessary.

// If you enable a local name server, don't forget to enter 127.0.0.1
// first in your /etc/resolv.conf so this server will be queried.
// Also, make sure to enable it in /etc/rc.conf.

I know the default for the system is to "NO" so I'm not sure what the consequences are to not turning it on.

Also I am not sure what it means by "If you enable a local name server, don't forget to enter 127.0.0.1"

Can anyone elaborate what it means by that line? These were from the named.conf file.

Hello,

I *believe* (might be wrong) that having the "ON" in the rc.conf just lets FreeBSD know that it wan't to load up named when the system starts. DA has the services checker, so if it isn't started up automatically, then DA will catch it.

For the 127.0.0.1 in the /etc/resolv.conf, it doesn't really matter *that* much. If you don't have it, it will go out to ask your datacenters nameservers, which will in turn ask you. So it's more efficient to add 127.0.0.1 to the top of that file, but isn't the end of the world if it isn't there. By keeping it external, it would ensure that people don't spoof things because the lookup would be legit. IE: if you add hotmmail.com to your server, obviously it's invalid, but if you use 127.0.0.1, all emails sent to hotmail.com from your server would end up staying on the local machine, which isn't accurate. I *do* add 127.0.0.1 to the file personally, because if we add a local domain, we want it to resolve to the server asap, not later when the datacenters ns's finally get it.

John

Back