How do I make x.net and x.org point to x.com?

xivaro

Verified User
My .net and .org domains have DNS service with and are currently being forwarded to the .com domain (both web and e-mail) by the original registrar of the domain names. However, the .com has DNS services with my webhosting vendor. I would like to put the .net & .org on the DNS of the webhosting server.

I would try to look at the current DNS records of the .net & .org domains, to copy the info, but I don't have "full-service" DNS management capabilities with the registrar, so I cannot see those records.

I assume I need to 1) create the records for the domains in the DNS of my webhosting vendor and then 2) go to my registrar and change the DNS servers for the .net & .org domains.

Is this correct? If so, what do the records for the .net & .org domains need to look like? If not, then what do I need to do?

TIA

John

Hello,

Are you using the "domain pointers" feature in DA? This should point those 2 domains to the one you want. You won't be able to the dns records for the 2 pointers from DA's User Panel, but an Admin could through his DNS Administration Panel. (both email and web are forwarded). Just set your nameservers for those domains to the DA sever for all the domains (through your registrar), and add 2 domain pointers for the .net and .org.

John

Hi John,

Thanks for the answer. I did not know about the domain pointers feature.

I set the .net & .org to point to the .com., and I set the DNS for them .net & .org to my webhosting DNS address.

Is it still necessary for me to alert the admins to have them make the appropriate entries in their DNS records?

Thanks again,

John

Hello,

By adding the domain pointers, all dns entries are made automatically. Just make sure it's setup at the registrar and you shouldn't need to bug anyone else :)

John

Back