DirectAdmins says: bad system call

rhoekman

Verified User
DirectAdmin says: bad system call

I have a new machine setup here.. Network works fine, installation goes without hickups.. But when directadmins starts it gives an error: bad system call

Kernel outputs: /kernel: pid 74745 (dataskq), uid 65534: exited on signal 12

I know there where some permission issues in the past?

Or could this be hardware related?

Specs of the machine:

Dual XEON 2.4 on an intel SE7501WV2 Motherboard, 1 gig kingston ECC mem
120 gig seagates in raid 1

Network card is on em0:

Last edited:
Hello,

Check the logs:

/var/log/directadmin/error.log
/var/log/directadmin/errortaskq.log

Also make sure you have the correct OS selected in your license because if you have the wrong binary, things won't work so well :)

John

The right ethernet adaptor is not set even when I punched iy in during setup. I had to manually set ethernet_dev=em0 in /usr/local/directadmin/directadmin.conf

I have 2 gig ethernet connectors they identify them selfs as em0: and em1: do you have to define it in your setup script?

Hello,

The most recent setup.sh should find them.. It should give you a list of the available ones (grepped out from ifconfig).

John

Hmm.. what do you get when you run:
Code:
/sbin/ifconfig -a | grep -e "^[a-z]" | cut -d: -f1 |grep -v lp0|grep -v lo0|grep -v tun0|grep -v sl0|grep -v ppp0|grep -v faith0
That's what the setup.sh is using right now to get the devices.

John

Hello,

Check the /usr/local/directadmin/data/templates/directadmin.conf

I bet it's got a whole pile of ethernet_dev lines at the bottom.. when you run "directadmin i" it uses that template.

John

The output of the above string was:

tester# /sbin/ifconfig -a | grep -e "^[a-z]" | cut -d: -f1 |grep -v lp0|grep -v lo0|grep -v tun0|grep -v sl0|grep -v ppp0|grep -v faith0
em0
em1
tester#

So it finds them, you can select one. But after selection it does not put it in the config file. There was only one entry in the config file.

Ah.. ok.. if one already exists, it won't add another ... thus any re-installs wont get a new value, just whatever was set from the first run.

John

Hello,

Whats at the bottom of the /usr/local/directadmin/data/templates/directadmin.conf ?

The end of the setup.sh is:
Code:
CFG=$DA_PATH/data/templates/directadmin.conf
COUNT=`cat $CFG | grep -c ethernet_dev=`
if [ $COUNT -lt 1 ]; then
        echo "ethernet_dev=$ETH_DEV" >> $CFG
fi
So it counts how many "ethernet_dev=" lines there are, and if there are 0, it then appends "ethernet_dev=dev#" to the end of the template. Not sure where along those steps it's failing. Either $ETH_DEV isn't being set right, or.. well, that's about all I can think of :)

John

This is the tail of that file:

<--snip-->

SSL=0
cacert=/usr/local/directadmin/conf/cacert.pem
cakey=/usr/local/directadmin/conf/cakey.pem

tmpdir=../../../home/tmp
max_username_length=10
login_history=10

ethernet_dev=em1
quota_partition=/

<--snip-->

The code in setup.sh grabbing the ethernet is the same..

*scratches head*

ak! :). .. ok, thanks for your persistance. I appears that when I was testing the new setup.sh, it wrote to the template file in the release, which is the source of problem. The setup.sh assumes that nobody has written to it yet, but it has been written to before it's even left the build system. I'll fix that up on our end. (Only 5.x are affected)

John

Back