Adding resellers and DNS?

AlexA

Verified User
Why does DA add dns entries when a reseller is added?

This makes the welcome email for resellers pointless.

Also how do you delete a domain from dns using the CP?
I can see how to delete records, but not the domain.

Feature Request:
Having an "add to DNS" when creating a domain would be a great feature (like Ensim). Or just the ability to delet the whole zone.
It would be great for some domains using external DNS instead of having to edit records in multiple places.

AlexA said:
Why does DA add dns entries when a reseller is added?

Can you explain why you write "pointless", Alex?

Thanks.

Jeff

Well - I add a reseller (say example.com) it adds a dns entry for example.com (no domain is added just DNS records A, MX, etc) then the email is sent to the server itself instead of the actual mail server (which is not on this server).
The only other way to get it to work is to use a different domain for the email address or add a fake domain name to the reseller.

So basically the reseller will never get the account welcome message - that's why I say it's pointless.

It's far from pointless. It is assumed that if the company is example.com that the website for example.com would be on the same machine as example.com clients. I'd sure be suspicious if my own host wasn't even willing to use their own server. :eek:

By adding a reseller, you are adding their domain. If you go and login as that reseller and go to their user panel, that is the user panel for example.com

In the majority of situations, example.com would need to be on the server anyway (well at least if they expect to use ns1,ns2.example.com) unless you plan to manually setup their nameserver records.

The e-mail address you have listed for someone in DirectAdmin probably shouldn't be on the same domain that is being hosted on the machine. We require the e-mail clients list with us to be one that is NOT hosted with us. Most clients choose to use their isp account. We do this so that in the event that there is an outage and the mail server is down, they can still get e-mails from us.

Last edited:
To me that's very small thinking - that a reseller could only be on 1 server.
Resellers should be added without adding a domain or anything to DNS.
On my server it only adds the DNS zone - so if they actually do have a hosting account it DOES NOT show under their statistics.

As an example we offer many different hosting plans, windows, windows w/ ColdFusion, ensim-linux w/ mail etc., ensim - w/ external mail/dns etc. etc.
I have resellers that may host their own domain on a Windows account but want to sell linux accounts.

Basically what you saying is a reseller HAS to host on THAT server and never grow enough to have multiple servers - that's ridiculous.

The reseller should have to add their domain AFTER the reseller account is setup. and it should also show in the list of domains - not just the zones.

AlexA said:
To me that's very small thinking - that a reseller could only be on 1 server.
Resellers should be added without adding a domain or anything to DNS.

I suppose so, I've just never thought of having a reseller setup like that but I suppose it is possible.

Basically what you saying is a reseller HAS to host on THAT server and never grow enough to have multiple servers - that's ridiculous.

Keep in mind what I'm saying is just my opinion, has nothing to do with DirectAdmin. I'm just another host, not a DirectAdmin staff member. That being said, If a reseller has multiple servers, I would assume that they would get their own servers and not be using an entire server for their 'reseller account'.

The reseller should have to add their domain AFTER the reseller account is setup. and it should also show in the list of domains - not just the zones.
I suppose I see your point although that means that the resellers own domains need to be created as if they were clients of theirs but I guess thats not a problem, for my needs though, it works fine as is.

As of right now, the domain is actually added, not just the DNS zones.

Now that I understand the argument, here's my us$0.04 worth :) ...

Resellers should not have to have a domain on the box. Nor should dns be completely automatic. There should be an option for DNS but it shouldn't be automatic.

And yes, we need an off-domain email address for each of our clients. In addition, we strongly suggest our clients have an off-domain support email address so they'll still get their support emails even if everything goes down. We have servers on multiple networks, so we're happy to set up (at a charge of course; here's a way for you to make a few extra bucks/yen/marks/pounds :) ) a domain and a support email address, for example [email protected], so the client can log into our server, say every five minutes, to get support email. And if his box or our entire data center goes down he can still get his mail.

We had a similar problem today with one of our resellers who has an entire Plesk box. He set up a domain for a new customer so his new client could see the domain before it went live.

Then he sent the customer an email. The email never got to the customer because the (Plesk default) qmail installation "knew" the domain was local, only tried local delivery, and since there were no email accounts, returned the email as undeliverable.

Jeff

That being said, If a reseller has multiple servers, I would assume that they would get their own servers and not be using an entire server for their 'reseller account'.

I can't totally agree with you here:
I'm not talking about resellers taking up an entire server, I'm saying that resellers may need multiple servers (ie. a reseller may have 20 domains on a Windows server and 50 on a Linux server, if they had their own dedicated or co-loed servers that would be expensive)

I just think that:
1: Resellers domains should NOT be added when setup as a reseller.
2: IF resellers domains are added when setup - they should show in the resellers stats for - domains, storage, etc.
3: Zones should be able to be deleted completely from the CP.

I'm not knocking Direct Admin, this to me is really just an oversite or bug.
Either way I will be offering DirectAdmin to our resellers as a "value-add - additional Offering from Ensim".
I just think that this should be addressed - they have a great product, but if they think that a "single server and never add anything else (ie external mail, dns etc.)" setup is all anyone will ever need -then I think there wrong.
Maybe I'm the only provider that offers multiple solutions to resellers to broaden their offerings but I really doubt it.

I'm thinking of removing the domain from a reseller when a reseller is created. It's slighly out of the scope of what a reseller is (A reseller doesn't necessarily have a domain). Since adding the nameserver feature to resellers (before release), the need for the dns options during reseller creation arn't really necessary as a reseller can just do it themselves. It's just one of the those things that needs to be changed as the program evolves. I probably won't do it for a while, as it would require some major overhauls to many things including the reseller packages and skins... but should clean up the code when its done.

John

I agree there John, a reseller is an account, and a higher level control panel to allow the creation of lower level accounts for domains :)

Chris

I'm thinking of removing the domain from a reseller when a reseller is created.

John,
That would be great. I know it won't happen for a while but could you also consider the ability to delete zones entirely from within DA - this would be helpful when running external nameservers.

BTW - very nice product - I am extremely impressed so far.

Thanks,
Alex

Back