I need Trash Folder in File Manager

I don't think backup will help... I mean when I upload my tar.gz file and then I unpacked it, after that I no longer need tar.gz file anymore so I delete it from file manager. But instead of deleting tar.gz I accidently deleted unpacked files.

Do you mean I have to backup everytime I upload something? I think it's wasting my time...

Of course I have a tar.gz backup file but I have to do it again from the start.... Would it be better if I can undelete these files?

You should have backups if its important, no matter what file type it is, everything i upload thats important i have a bavkup of, if its a script like phpbb packaked in tar.gz then I would just re-download if required.

I don't think backup will help... I mean when I upload my tar.gz file and then I unpacked it, after that I no longer need tar.gz file anymore so I delete it from file manager. But instead of deleting tar.gz I accidently deleted unpacked files.

tar -zxvf *.tar.gz and that example is fixed....

if you delete the tar.gz package and the unpacked directory... how can you do that without not noticing? :p

adding a trash can is not really something that would be of any use... most users avoid deleting files they want and having the added feature will just slowly fill the users quotas.

The only thing you would really need is a "are you sure you wish to delete ths file" option - if you have the ability to be shown the file you are deleting and you are required to confirm it then you obviously know your deleting it.

Chris

sphere said:

Do you mean I have to backup everytime I upload something? I think it's wasting my time...

Of course I have a tar.gz backup file but I have to do it again from the start.... Would it be better if I can undelete these files?

I am not trying to sound like a jerk but that statement sounds like it comes from someone who is inexperienced! The CP is to make life easy but it gives some admins the feeling that they just need to learn the GUI. Look when I work with my big name clients they make incremental backup's everytime they touch a file.

The backups are your friend, make a backup then make a change, your satisified with the change make another backup. Have a problem ssh into the box unpack the backup move the file you have a problem with and move on.

The other problem you will find is that "undelete" is not necessarly a option. It is possible to have the OS write over that file by the time you come back to retrieve it. The only way for DA to make sure that it can restore is to make a "backup" somewhere and copy back to the active website.

I could see DA having a feature sometime in the future that would allow you to see all the files in the backup and select those to restore and overwrite?

Hi All,

tar -zxvf *.tar.gz and that example is fixed....

if you delete the tar.gz package and the unpacked directory... how can you do that without not noticing?

I unpacked ezpublish-3.3-3.tar.gz and the unpacked directory was ezpublish-3.3-3, that's look the same in file manager. Anyway, this is only one of examples, perhaps there're many other examples which makes us accidently delete the files/folders.

I think prompt could be one of the answer instead of trash can and of course backup is very usefull.

Well, thank you for all your suggestions, I'll be carefull next time when I delete my files.

I have an experience with other control panel (you obiously know what control panel I'm talking about) which have a trash can. Sometimes it helps me undelete my files. And I can empty it if I'm really sure no longer need it.

Anyway, just trying to give some idea to improve DA. It's up to them, I think DA is a good control panel but still more improvement from times to times.

Another thing that I want, I only can edit certain type of file such as .php, .txt in File Manager. When I tried to edit .ini (this file is text file) it can be edited, so I must renamed it to .ini.php and renamed it back after I change the file. I think file extension for text file must be added or better you can edit all the files even binary files.

Thank's

Back