DNS screwed up

thoroughfare

Verified User
Hi,

I run a backup DNS and email server for my clients, so it requires me to change the second NS record in their DA settings and add a second MX record.

Thing is, I'll set this up, and then a bit later when I go to check it, for some reason DA screws up the settings.

For example, I'll set it up like this:
PHP:
domainhere.com. NS ns1.servername.com
domainhere.com. NS backup.backupserver.com

DA changes it to this:
PHP:
domainhere.com [without the terminating period] NS backup.backupserver.com
domainhere.com.. [with two terminating periods] NS backup.backupserver.com

Help!

Thanks,
Matt :)

Last edited:
Hello,

Where were the settings changed?

User Panel
Admin Panel
Nameservers
List/Modify Users -> username

?

Did you change anything anywhere else after that? What settings were entered.

DA doesn't touch anything unless a change is made through the Panel..

John

Hi,

I'm a reseller... I changed it by logging into my reseller account and then each user's account individually... using 'modify DNS records'. I'm pretty sure this is a bug as I didn't set them up this way.

Thanks,

Hello,

You're sure you're using didn't change anything? What were the values that were entered? (including trailing dots)..

Minor thing, probably just a typo (but just exploring everying)
Code:
domainhere.com. NS backup.backupserver.com
doesn't have a trailing periods after the nameservers...

Anyway, if you can give me the exact steps to duplicate it, I'll try and find something (try and do it again). We havn't heard of this before so it's rather odd if it's a bug.

John

Hi,

Sorry, I meant:

PHP:
domainhere.com. NS ns1.servername.com.
domainhere.com. NS backup.backupserver.com.

...with the dots.

I'm 100% sure it's a bug. The only way I can think of emulating it is to do what I did... add a secondary nameserver that points to an outside machine.

Even when I correct it, it crops up now and then... next time it happens, I'll PM you my login details (or probs send them using the SSL form on your site).

Thanks,

Ok,

let me know if it happens again. It extremely odd, because the only thing that touches the dns zones is the panel when the user is doing something. No automated scripts/backgroupd processes touch that file at all.

John

Back