Domain Pointer Emails

Eagle1

Verified User
I would like to see in a near future version the ability to specify which domain the pop3 account is for when there are domain pointers addedd to the account.

Say the main domain is domain.com, and you add domain.net as a pointer.
Now the email and login show as [email protected].
I would like to be more specific and have one that is only for [email protected].

Thanks,
Eddie

Hello,

The email part of the domain aliases are just done via symbolic link for the directory, so having different accounts for domain.com and domain.net isn't possible. You'd need to just create domain.net as it's own domain.

John

Hello,

The underlying base just isn't setup to do it that way. If you need emails for different domains to go to different accounts, then create the 2nd domain as a full domain, not a pointer.

John

Hi,
You guys sure do work late.

I can't set it up as another domain, as I need the domains to all point to the same address. I am using eNvolution for 3 family sites, which is configured in a multisite install. They share the same files and the same database, but show different sites.

The main domain is myfamilies.net. I have seelke.net, overtonfamily.net, and connally.info pointing to the same folder. I had to manually edit httpd.conf, as I didn't want the domain to forward, but point to the same folder, as seen here.

In DA when I setup a pop3, it shows it as [email protected]. Now, I found out by trial and error that if I use [email protected], it will still login and still recieve email for this address.
This is not my ideal way to do this, but it works for now.

I would like to request this feature in the future, but there is no hurry.

I can see DirectAdmin becoming superior to CPanel very soon :)

Keep up the good work!

Eddie

Hello,

We'll it's just past noon here..

You *could* just create 1 domain for each, and create symbolic links for the dcoument roots:
Code:
cd /home/username/domains
rm -rf otherdomain.com
ln -s maindomain.com otherdomain.com
That way you get seperate email accounts, but synced websites.

John

Where would I need to enter that code to copy a domain.

I have 1 site accessed by 2 domain names. However the email needs to be different for both.

DirectAdmin Support said:
Hello,

We'll it's just past noon here..

You *could* just create 1 domain for each, and create symbolic links for the dcoument roots:
Code:
rm -rf otherdomain.com
That way you get seperate email accounts, but synced websites.

John

Hi I tried this for a domain but access denied when page tries to load.

DirectAdmin Support said:
You *could* just create 1 domain for each, and create symbolic links for the dcoument roots
That's right.
Chrysalis said:
Hi I tried this for a domain but access denied when page tries to load.
Have you looked into apache logs to determine source of the problem?

Hi,
Another way to do this in case your host doesn't allow SSH access is:

1. Create the 2nd domain. You will need to do this for it to work properly.

2. Create an index.html file for the 2nd domain, and paste this code into the body of the new index file.
Code:
meta http-equiv=refresh content="0; url=http://Your2ndSite.com">

3. Upload the index.html file to your 2nd site and any other site you would like to point to site one.

Please let us know if this works for any of you.

Thanks -Jason

Webhamster,
Your question was,
Where would I need to enter that code to copy a domain.

I have 1 site accessed by 2 domain names. However the email needs to be different for both.
You would need to use SSH in order to use the meathod John explained. You are not copying a domain though. You are actually deleting the domain and all of it's content and making one domain link to another.

# cd means change directory.

rm -rf otherdomain.com
# rm -rf means to remove the directory and files.

# ln -s means to create a symbolic link, which is a shortcut to another file or directory.

Did I answer you question correctly? -Jason :D

Can anyone help me to solve this problem: _http://www.directadmin.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12988 :(

Back