Hotmail denied

Heuveltje

Verified User
Hi all, Jeff,

Since yesterday email sent from some_address @ hotmail. com are denied by the server. Senders get the following notification:

"Forged hotmail mail, not sent from your account."

Has this got anything to do with the transformation of hotmail to live.com?
i tried editting the following lines in exim.conf adding the live.com domain:
Code:
#deny message = Forged hotmail mail, not sent from your account.
senders = *@hotmail.com
condition = ${if match {$sender_host_name}{\N(hotmail|msn|live).com$\N}{no}{yes}}

However this does not seem to help only after commenting out the lines the hotmail.com's are being received. However this probably opening the doorway for mails that are really being forged isn't it?

Your advise please....

Michiel

Personally I've removed the forge checks some time ago; nothing stops users from sending their email from their own ISPs mailservers and yet still using their hotmail address.

And really, nothing should.

But if you want to leave those, note that the leading \N may be causing the problem.

Jeff

Thank you for your reply. Took a look at the latest SB3-beta at your site/page but the checks are still there? Will they be removed in the next version?

Summary: Remove forge-sender checks from /etc/exim.conf because people send those mails via another (open?)SMTP server than registered with there own adress.

Furthermore: Thank you! I appreciate your help, and you helping all us ignorant people :) You are a great asset to these forums!

Yes, they'll be removed from the next versions, and they're overdue; they should have been posted this morning but I've been busy.

Jeff

Back