Cannot resolve DNS...

gerhard

Verified User
I know that I should resolve this issue with the web space provider but since you were of great help last time, I thought that posting here would be a better approach :D.

Since the server restart, one of the domains that I am hosting cannot be found. Maybe it's not because of the server reset, but in the morning everything was working perfectly and in the evening the domain couldn't be found... I didn't change any DNS settings (domain or web space) within the last couple of days.

Any suggestions? Cheers, Gerhard.

p.s.: the domain name is gerhardlazu.com.

Hello,

You had CNAME's for both ftp and mail which conflicted with the A records for ftp and mail. I've removed the CNAME's and it's working now.

John

YES SIR!

Excellent! You are right. I was thinking about that aspect myself but was not sure. However, I made those changes about a week ago so it seemed strange that they created problems only now...

I am very pleased with your support and am eager to forget the past incidents. ;)

Thanks very much again, Gerhard.

DNS changes I performed...

At site-helper.com I found the following informationt that made me perform those changes you were mentioning about:

"CNAME records make it possible to access your domain through ftp.yourdomain.com,_ mail.yourdomain.com, etc._ Without a proper CNAME record, you will not be able to connect to your server using such addresses."

I guess the approach wasn't the appropriate one...

Cheers, Gerhard.

CNAME and PTR records will technicall work but it is not the correct way of doing things. What most people will do is use A records for almost everything. That should take care of 90% of the people.

Back